Chinese-Forums

Adopting Chinese baby

sthubbar

My sister has expressed to me that she and her husband are interested in adopting a daughter to add to their already 3 sons. She says they are indifferent to race. They would prefer that the age is under 3 years old and minor physical deformations are no problem. She would prefer to spend money on raising the child or possibly giving her birth family instead of giving a lawyer.

Do you know anyone that has experience with adopting Chinese babies?

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here since you're asking this question for someone else: if race isn't an issue, why not adopt in your home country?

If money is an issue, seek out non-profit organizations particularly invested in placing children in homes. Especially if she's willing to care for a child with some disabilities, she should have little problem finding a low-fee organziation wherever she is.

Why put a kid through the trouble of being dragged around the world where they'll not only loose connections with whatever smattering of family they have left but their culture, and likely their language?

I applaud the idea of adoption and think it's a very noble thing, particularly when in many cases it's considered "easier" to "make your own".

However, in particular with Chinese babies, knowing what I know about Chinese culture and the way that things work here, I can't help but think that all of the money "invested" into adopting a Chinese baby is lining some fat-cat's wallet.

I've seen some sites that say the cost of adopting a baby here can be anywhere from US$10 - 30,000. I just don't see how adopting can be so expensive. To me it seems that someone over here is exploiting the good nature of a lot of people throughout the world.

I think we all dislike giving money to lawyers, but an adoption is a serious legal matter involving the laws of two countries and a huge committment on the part of the adoptive family (not to mention the adopted child).

This is a case where you definitely do want to work with someone who knows what they're doing (and check their credentials carefully).

I've also heard that adoption of Chinese children has become more difficult in recent years as the country's demographic profile shifts (aging population and an imbalance of males to females).

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here since you're asking this question for someone else: if race isn't an issue, why not adopt in your home country?

Many reasons. A big one is that many people want to avoid the "messiness" of potentially the kids birth parents showing up.

Why put a kid through the trouble of being dragged around the world where they'll not only loose connections with whatever smattering of family they have left but their culture, and likely their language?

Most of the kids for adoption in China were ABANDONED by their family, and have already lost connection to their family.

I think we all dislike giving money to lawyers, but an adoption is a serious legal matter involving the laws of two countries and a huge committment on the part of the adoptive family (not to mention the adopted child).

This is a case where you definitely do want to work with someone who knows what they're doing (and check their credentials carefully).

Understood. But, what about a family living in China that already speaks Chinese? I'm American and my wife is Chinese. Would we be required to jump through all the same hoops as an American couple that didn't speak the language and was living in the States?

Some websites state that one thing that makes the cost so high is that the adopting couple/family must pay for several people to travel back and forth over a lengthy period. I'd think travel expense would be minimized if those who had to travel only had to travel to another Chinese city. There also wouldn't be any need for the translation of documents.

I've always had this feeling that the cost of adoption in China (where labor wges are dirt cheap) is a case of "That probably sounds like an acceptable price to Americans /snicker" (where most of them go.) I've seen the orphanages on TV here, there is no way these places are getting any money. No doubt those higher up all drive BMW's, etc.

I've also heard that adoption of Chinese children has become more difficult in recent years as the country's demographic profile shifts (aging population and an imbalance of males to females).

Yes, more difficult if you are looking for a healthy non-disabled little baby.

If you are willing to adopt a Chinese child with disabilities or a child over 5 years of age, then much easier to adopt. A co-worker where I teach and her husband are not able to conceive so they are getting ready to adopt a deaf 10 year old girl from China.

• 2 weeks later...

We're in the process of adopting from China which is the main reason I am learning Chinese.

I'm in the US, I don't know where the OP is from, but here, domestic adoption is not so easy either. One, there isn't as many babies available to be adopted as there are people wanting to adopt. There are many kids in foster care but for the most part they are not able to be adopted. Birth mothers changing their minds, etc. are some of the other reasons people do not want adopt domestically in the US.

As far as the cost goes, in the US it should end up being about $20,000 total. Nobody is exploiting anyone. A good part of that money is for travel. You usually only have a few weeks to make travel arrangements so flights are more expensive. There is tons of paperwork that you have to gather up, get notarized, state certified, authenticated, background checks, immigration, etc. All of that adds up to quite a bit of money. Plus, your agency helps you through the process, including translation of documents. All that costs money. Oh, and the guides while you are in the country need to be paid too.

To adopt from some countries you have to make multiple trips too, and that increases the expense.

With China you don't need an attorney, you go through an agency and the Chinese government.

As yes, it has gotten much more difficult lately. The rules for who is eligible have gotten much stricter and the wait time has increased enormously. Unless someone is really drawn to China, other options are probably better. But adopting from anywhere now is not easy.

Families who are Chinese can get adoptions expedited. But from what I've seen the wait is still pretty long for them too. And yes, if you are a US citizen you still have to go through the same legal process to adopt which includes what ever the state you live in requires also.

If you are living in China the process is a little different. I don't know the details. I believe there is one agency in China that works with ex-patriot adoptions. Still, if you are a US citizen you have to work with US adoption laws and immigration issues.

As far as traveling goes - at most only two people need to go (the parents) some people bring other family members along to help. One parent can go also, but the paperwork is a bit different then. You have to go to the capitol city of the province you child is from and then travel to Guangzhou (at least for Americans) to finish the immigration stuff since that is where the consulate is.

For China only one trip is necessary and you stay in china for about 2 or so weeks. All sorts of things need to be translated, etc. Adoption is a very complex legal process.

If the OP is still here, I suggest this forum - there is section that has been added about adopting from other countries also: http://chinaadopttalk.com/forum/index.php