Chinese-Forums

Ok, so who knows Russian/is Russian?

xianhua

The inside of my coat has something which I perceive to be in Russian. My assumption for it being Russian is based on an Aeroflot flight in which I spent a good few minutes flicking through the airline catalogue. It was here that I noticed a letter which looked rather like 中. Now obviously being a linguistic expert, I decided that Russia, being near to China, had borrowed a letter in ancient times to make up the numbers (I'm sure this is absolute nonsense but those flights can be boring and a little imagination passes the time). :lol:

Anyway, the coat is quite military in it's appearance, so hopefully it says something tough like 'comrade general'. If it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, then karma will have been served, since I've spent many a good hour walking around the streets of China secretly sniggering at kids wearing T-shirts with random English words printed on the front.

If it's offensive, then please contact the retailer.

2733_thumb.attach

Edited by xianhua

I'm pretty sure that letter is from the Greek letter phi, not Chinese. I think Russia only had contact with China from the 17th century when it started to expend out over Siberia, before then they were pretty much a European country and so wouldn't really have had any chance to borrow Chinese characters.

The letter is Ф and is close to English F in pronunciation. The set of characters on the picture is indeed from Russian alphabet, but is completely random. Couple letters are upside down.

As fanglu correctly pointed out, Russian Фф [ef] came after Greek Φφ [phi], not in any way from Chinese. By the way, Russian equivalent of English saying "Greek to me" is something that literally means "Chinese grammar", that's how close the two languages are. :)

Is this coat made in China?

Strangely enough, yes. Thankfully they put 只可专业干洗 in Chinese, just for me.

So I have a coat which was manufactured in China, featuring random Russian letters but destined for the British highstreet. Oohh, those kids have had the last laugh here.

Thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...

It is in Russian but I couldn't figure out at first what it says

It says.

ЗДЕФКОЙ Т ПАКОЙ Т...

с девкой покой (s dévkoy pokóy) - with a gal (is) peace.

It's a deliberately broken Russian text, similar to modern English chat language. There are no spaces between words Т (Cyrillic T is used as a space here). The last word is the reverse of the first word - viewed in a mirror, so the letters are incorrect.

This style is from the Russian padonki (normally подонки - podónki - "scum", "scoundrels")

PADONKI (podonki)

It follows the pronunciation, ignoring all spelling rules. Worse, they deliberately distort words to achieve some effect (they write "превед" instead of standard "привет" - privét (hi, hello), which I find silly).

The actual phrase sounds incomplete or strange. The word девка (girl, gal) is somewhat pejorative, so the meaning could be "it's fun to be with a girl". I am not sure it was created by Russians or maybe it's just a joke.

--

EDIT:

Greetings to Pipas, another Russian joining this forum!

Edited by atitarev

padonki indeed :clap

с девкой покой (s dévkoy pokóy) - with a gal (is) peace.

The actual phrase sounds incomplete or strange. The word девка (girl, gal) is somewhat pejorative, so the meaning could be "it's fun to be with a girl". I am not sure it was created by Russians or maybe it's just a joke.

a plausible etymology for "安" .. at last :lol:

Well thanks to Pipas and atitarev for the native input. I don't think I'll be mentioning the fact that my coat has "it's fun to be with a girl" written inside to the wife just yet though. :D

Well, now that you're here, maybe the outside of the coat does slightly better? Surely this time it says 'senior cadre'?

Apologies for the poor picture but the writing is the same colour as the coat.

2755_thumb.attach