Chinese-Forums

Where would you live in Hong Kong?

wushijiao

If you are familiar with Hong Kong (or even if you are not), where would you live if:

-money weren't an issue?

-money were an issue, and you'd like to live in a place that is nice, but with good value?

-you wanted to integrate yourself into the local community?

Anyway, this survey is just for fun. I'd be interested to see any ideas or answers that people might have! :D

-money weren't an issue?

In a large house with garden. Does not really matter where in Hong Kong.

-money were an issue, and you'd like to live in a place that is nice, but with good value?

Tai Po, Sai Kung, or outlying islands. But everyone has their own definition of "nice"

Anywhere except Mid-Levels and Discovery Bay (the expat "ghettos").

Nice answers, sebhk. I think I pretty much agree.

-money weren't an issue?

Probably someplace on the Peak (with a nice garden, and lots of greenery).

I think I'm leaning towards the outlying islands as well.

if money weren't an issue then i think i would like to live in 星域軒 in Admirlty. i agree that 'nice' means different things to different people. actually i think island east is nice enough.

ps- i'm so glad i can use wifi on my phone again (am in rome). the os of the phone has been a bit messed up lately.

-money weren't an issue?

Probably the Peak, although it could get a bit depressing up there when the fog comes in, so perhaps somewhere on the south side of the island with a big sea view. Definitely a house rather than a flat.

Tseung Kwan O (near Tiu Keng Leng, Tseung Kwan O or Hang Hau MTR stops) is convenient for public transport, and has lots of buses to nice countrysidey places like Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay. It's about 30 mins to Wanchai, but all the way to Sheung Wan might be a bit of a trek. The downside of Tseung Kwan O is that the place itself, while convenient for getting to nice places, is utterly characterless, apart from Hang Hau village.

I live in TKO now, but if I moved, I would probably try to get something on the island - maybe in Heng Fa Chuen, Chai Wan, Kennedy Town or Mid-Levels if I got a pay-rise. The problem at the moment is that if I go home after work, it's a struggle to motivate myself to go all the way back to the island for a night out. If you're somewhere nearer the action, you can pop home after work to change and then go back out again.

I think this is quite difficult in HK, but maybe somewhere like Tai Po, which has more of a small-town feel, without being too closed and villagey like other places in the New Territories.

Tseung Kwan O (near Tiu Keng Leng, Tseung Kwan O or Hang Hau MTR stops) is convenient for public transport, and has lots of buses to nice countrysidey places like Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay

Interesting stuff. I had to look TKO up on a map (I have bad HK geography). Anyway, it would be great to be near countrysidey places! That's my goal.

Could money NOT be an issue when talking about place of living in hong kong? :roll:

If I prepare to spend $15,000-40000 per month on my apartment, I'd go for the Star Street in Wanchai.

The neighbouring streets composes the short history of Hong Kong. It was a slum decades ago with the flood of immigrants from the mainland china but today it's one of the richest place in hong kong and have most degree holders.

A lot of Soho-style shops open there along with many traditional shops. One of the oldest post office is still there, surrounded by many ultra new modern buildings.

Hardly imagine that there could be an apartment in hong kong without a drainage system, and one of the very old government service, Piss-and-Poop Clearance Team (夜香队), has still served residents there. A few blocks away, there is a very luxurious apartments like 星域軒 which is mentioned above.

It's a real hybrid of the west and the east, old and new. I like a place like this.

I live in TKO now, but if I moved, I would probably try to get something on the island - maybe in Heng Fa Chuen, Chai Wan, Kennedy Town or Mid-Levels if I got a pay-rise.

i live in heng fa chuen now & i like it as it's convenient yet quiet. but a friend of mine always urges me to move to newer places (like TKO, sigh).she doesn't seem to understand that i'm a HK islander...

yeah star street is quite likeable.

she doesn't seem to understand that i'm a HK islander...

My former boss was a hardcore HK islander...on her last day of the job, we gave her a beautiful coffee table book about the New Territories!

One of the oldest post office is still there, surrounded by many ultra new modern buildings.

That's a nice area. I like to do the HK trail from Aberdeen to Wan Chai, and coming down on the Wan Chai Gap Road, you hit that post office, if I'm not mistaken.

That's a nice area. I like to do the HK trail from Aberdeen to Wan Chai, and coming down on the Wan Chai Gap Road, you hit that post office, if I'm not mistaken.

Almost. There is no trail outside the Post Office. :D

You need to walk five minutes through the famous Toy Street. At the peak hour, the street there is full of crowd that can compare to the Flower Market in Lunar New Year. I always wish I could avoid it.

Hehe...Actually, the trail ends at the top of Wan Chai Gap, but I usually walk down to Queen's Road East (about a 20 minute walk).

I've walked through the busy markets through there on weekends- and it is crazy and lively.

I wouldn't mind living a good further up the hill (say 5-10 minutes from there), but I don't exactly have that sort of money right now, unfortunately.

I'd live nearby my work to keep commuting time minimal.

A stylish, modern but not to big apartment for a single young man in a high rise building, preferably higher than 50th floor. Building should include a swimming pool for after work swimming.

Well I almost had that when I lived in Tseung Kwan O, but commute time was 1 hour.... too much for me.