Chinese-Forums

Kai Lan - broccoli leaves?

Scoobyqueen

It could be 蒜茸芥兰 garlic & broccoli stir, a popular side dish. Chinese veg usually look different so when I first ate it I had no idea it was broccoli ...

蒜茸芥兰 is suàn róng jiè lán in Putonghua, "Kailan" should be Cantonese >> 蒜茸芥蘭 syun jung gaai laan

Edited by leeyah

芥兰 is usually translated as Chinese broccoli.

Although it's very close to kale, or Chinese kale, or Chinese broccoli.

(And, according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman-- one of the world's leading practitioners of treating sickness through nutrition-- kale is the most nutrient dense food out there. I'd add that some people disagree with that assessment if you are eating foods raw (due to the undigestibility of raw kale, unless bended), but if eating cooked, like in the Chinese style, I think it's a very nutritious dish).

I have a glut of red peppers, broccoli and carrots (if anyone has any suggestions they are gratefully received but preferably stuff you can freeze).

I don’t have any recipes for you, but I have a cookbook tip. “The Victory Garden Cookbook” by Marian Morash addresses what to do when you have a bumper crop of this or that that must be harvested all at once and you don't want it to go to waste. It deals with how to freeze or store things so they can be used later in the year. It isn't specific to China, but should still be useful there. She also has many excellent recipes and gardening tips. I’ve used the book for years and never been disappointed.

And congratulations on your good gardening! May I ask 请问 where in China you grow such good vegetables?

ISBN: 9780394707808

Edited by abcdefg

• 6 months later...

I am confused.

This is what I know as 西蘭花 broccoli -> http://www.ce.cn/cysc/sp/ysnn/200802/13/W020080213334832591004.JPG

This is what I know as 芥蘭 Chinese kale -> http://www.vmo.org/en/index/page_vegeknowdtl/sec_nu/vid_33/

They are very different.

蒜茸芥兰 is suàn róng jiè lán in Putonghua, "Kailan" should be Cantonese

Another pronunciation for 芥 is gài.

Imron.. sounds right to me, and of course 绿菜花 is what they call it in Taiwan.. sometimes you actually get the last two characters mixed up as well (绿花菜), and Cauliflower is called 花菜.

I think I've also heard 白菜花 to refer to Cauliflower.

So....

白菜花: Cauliflower, in Taiwan.

绿菜花: Brocolli in Taiwan.

西兰花: Brocolli in China.

芥蘭 Chinese kale.

Phew..

I once had a 青菜 (green vegetable) called 龙须菜 in Taiwan.. nobody has ever heard of it (save a select few) when I ask for it (even in Taiwan). Of course, I remembered it because it's name is so emotive.:lol:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...