Chinese-Forums

这有

pete102

这有

At the playground a kid suddenly spots a box hidden in the sand and immediately cries out the following sentence directed to her friends: 你们快来看呀 这有一个盒子耶

I've tried to figure out what 这有 means here. I read it as Here is....! (or maybe There is ....here!) but I am not sure as it does not seem to be in line with what the dictionaries says on 这 (this) and 有 (exist). Maybe this forum could help?

Moreover I reckon 耶 should be read here as a modal particle showing enthusiasm. Do you agree?

Don't think about the dictionary grammar but about the function and context of that sentence. It's an excited kid, pointing out that she discovered something. In such a situation, it's no surprise that she drops 'correct' grammar and opts for something more colloquial. Taking this into account, the sentence can be readily comprehended. An English-speaking child might say, "Oi, youse, check it out! A box!' (Or 'ya'll' if it's an American kid.)