Chinese-Forums

aperitif - Sangria

LuBaerte

That's a pretty boring translation for Sangria! [Not that I'm blaming you, I assume you didn't create it.] Since 'Sangria' comes from the Italian (?) word for blood, I was hoping for a much more interesting translation.

Guess you expected something like 蛇酒, right? :lol:

桑葛生酒 is still better than the alternative 桑格利亚酒 or 生个利亚酒. BUT actually when you think of what sangria is composed of i.e. what it looks like perhaps 西班牙水果调酒 or 西班牙水果紅酒 are the names for it. BTW, Spanish wine, spanish "sangre" :wink:

Honestly, I don't think 血酒 would produce that kind of effect in China, at least not in Guangdong.

Speaking of freaking out, that seems to have happened to eleven adventurous gourmets, in their expedition of 粤菜, here's a quote from the English text at the bottom of the page:

The meal was finalized with a bottle of home made snake wine

which I believed was used only as a medicine, at least that's what our Beijing teachers told us ... & if you're curious as to the contents of the yellow-labeled bottle, just click on the picture of 活蛇酒

:mrgreen:

@leeyah:

Ah yes, finally get that 蛇酒 reference. I've seen them in TCM shops, didn't know the name and didn't look that close....

@Madot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangria

Sangria (Spanish: sangría; Portuguese: sangria; Italian: sangria; meaning "bloody") is a wine punch typical of Iberian Peninsula.

So (i) it is a Spanish AND Portuguese drink, not just Spanish. It is also popular in Mexico. But maybe less so in Italy. (ii) I guess it could come from any three of the languages, since it's the same in all three. So there :wink: