Chinese-Forums

CONFUSED

Kenny同志

I am afraid I have fallen in love with an American girl. She is smart and charming. But now I am in a dilemma, because she is kind of skin revealing, which is quite unacceptable in Chinese culture. What would I do? Are all American girls skin revealing? ( She doesn't know that I have a crush on her)

she is kind of skin revealing, which is quite unacceptable in Chinese culture.

I don't know. Maybe in Hunan, but it's not an uncommon sight in Shanghai (although admittedly far less than in Western countries).

Are all American girls skin revealing?

Revealing skin is not considered anything abnormal, but in a country of 300 million people, of course not everyone will be the same.

What would I do?

I don't think there's much you can do. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Edited by anonymoose

No skin in Hainan? You're going to the wrong beaches!

And the good news about Hainan is that no one needs to smother themselves under layers of thermal underwear during the winter.

The truth is that she is certainly not going to be willing to change, so if you can't accept it you should just move on.

I suggest you take a trip down to Yalong Bay (亚龙湾). By the time you get back to your university you may think she is overdressed.

As others have said, this is not a simple contrast between China and America. You see huge differences within China as you move from western or central China to the big cities of the East coast or, to an even greater extent, the cities of tropical and sub-tropical China.