Chinese-Forums

Hoenig - Chinese Characters

soaphiae

• 4 months later...

Thanks!

I don't really have a good opinion, I haven't worked through the book (haven't even started). Here are some other thoughts:

I want to learn how to write them and both this book (Hoenig) and the Matthews book have some problems with this. The English memory words have a lot of doublets, which is annoying (requires some kind of intervention). I actually worked through the entire Matthews book and learned all characters and all pronunciations. I used to think the pronunciation part was good to learn at the same time but I have now changed my mind. Looking back, I would probably use the Heisig book instead. It seems to be better, and from what I can tell someone has provided stories (in the public Anki-deck) for the characters that lacks them. These are the three books I know that uses this technique, maybe there're more?

Note that neither Matthews or Heisig has released their follow-ups yet, which is annoying (I can't really put my learning on hold, so I'll have to find some other way).

It is also my strong opinion that using the Anki SRS is vital in order to properly rehearse the huge amount of characters the books provide.