Chinese-Forums

non-obvious ways to find Chinese tutor in major U.S. city

phillynoob

I live in Philly, but this probably generalizes to any major U.S. city.

I study Chinese, mostly for fun, and I would like to hire a Chinese tutor.

I have done this over the last few years with great success in DC and in small college towns. I normally email the Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) for a nearby college and ask permission to post a tutor ad on their listserver. Sometimes they'll let me post and sometimes they forward that email to the listserver. I then get at least 5-6 responses per college from graduate students interested in tutoring.

I normally study literature and lots of Chinese graduate students have a "serious hobbyist"-type interest in that, so they're pretty enthusiastic teachers. It's also easy money for them, of course.

By "study literature," I mean read stuff like Lu Xun, Ba Jin, sometimes classical or recent works, have the tutor explain anything I don't understand, discuss it some, then write summaries the story or chapter to practice writing. Nothing your average educated Chinese person can't handle.

Now, I'm in Philly and I can't find a tutor.

So far, I've done the following:

1. emails to 4 CSSA chapters.

2. classified ad in local Chinese-language weekly

3. ad in newsletter of Chinese language school

Next step is to ask Chinese people I know elsewhere for Philly contacts, but before I start asking for favors, are there any other tutor-finding strategies that I should try?

Thanks in advance.

Phillynoob

I don't know how it is in Philly, but in many places, Chinese people are networked very well.

If you have local Chinese acquaintances, it is definitely a good idea to let them know you're looking and spread the word, because they might know someone who knows someone who knows someone...

Is there no confucius institute in your city? That would be surprising if there wasnt.

Otherwise consider learning Chinese using Skype with a China-based teacher. They are often closer to the language than those who have lived away for a while and it is also cheaper.

If you can manage the Chinese, you could try the forums for Chinese people in the US - I don't know any specifically, but I suspect searching for stuff like 留学 华人 华侨 美国 论坛, etc, would turn something up.