Chinese-Forums

"Richie" still rules OK

woodcutter

I've just written several negative things in a row, so I'd like to lighten up and exclaim that

"Richie" Ren Xianqi is the KING of pop!

Anyway, he knows how to choose a good tune, which is an under-estimated skill. I hear that people think he is cheesy and embarrasing however. Tell me it isn't so.

• 2 weeks later...

Richie does sing very poppy and quite cheesy, like all Chinese pop, but of all this cheesy Chinese pop Richie's still has some quality, I think. Either way, he is one of the greater singers.

• 4 months later...

I'm learning Chinese from my wife's Richie Ren Karaoke DVD's! Hope my Chinese doesn't end up being too cheesy...

At the moment, I don't know most of what he's saying but it doesn't stop me singing along!

In my defence (should I need one), I also like Faye Wong's music. I don't know - is it a defence? Her stuff doesn't sound as poppy...

In Richie's defence, he seems to be an excellent entertainer and his concerts are so well produced you have to be impressed.

That's the great thing about listening to music from new (new to me) cultures - you can enjoy it without categorising it as cool or cheesy, etc. It was the same for my wife (before I met her) when she first came to Ireland to study, she enjoyed bands like Boyzone and Westlife without being aware of the whole "boyband" production line and target audience - she just liked the pop music, simple as that.

So, If Richie Ren is cheesy, then bring on the cheddar!

San Bai Liu Shi Wu something something... la la la la la la

:D