Chinese-Forums

2010 IUP vs CET Harbin 1Year Detailed Questions

vkim67

I am also looking into those same programs for a 1YEAR intensive language learning and have finaally narrowed it down to two: IUP (Tsinghua) and CET Harbin!

The previously considered programs are WorldLink Edu-ACLS in Beijing, The Alliance for Global Ed at Fudan U, ICLP in Taiwan, Princeton in Beijing.

IUP and CET Harbin are very similar. The most appealing of IUP and CET Harbin :

- 1-on-1 class

-small classes in regular classes (3-5)

-research/personalized component

-rigorous language-focused curriculum

-language focused electives (Harbin)

Questions:

1. I have gone through COUNTLESS forums with people debating which of these programs to choose! I was shocked to find so many negative reviews about the quality/disorganization of IUP. However most were written in 2005-2006 time. I'm planning to go 2010-2011 year. Has anyone studied at IUP recently and has it improved? Wouldn't the small classes of 3 students offset this disorganization? I don't understand.

2. (Note: Harbin is 4hrs/wk of 1-on-1 (28 wks) while IUP is 5hrs/wk (32 wks) which is significantly less.) IUP: Does has anyone chosen a research topic and get support on that for their danbanke class? CET: What exactly does the professor help you with during the 1-on-1 if we use the class for research topic especially since it's only 4 hrs a week? Does he/she teach research methods during the class? Help with research sources? Writing?

3.IUP doesn't offer much information on their small group curriculum. Can someone provide more detailed info on their experience

4. Beijing vs Harbin- People stated Harbin has "perfect" pronunciation and Beijing has the "rr"s but that it's important to learn to listen/understand Mandarin speakers with various regional accents. Isn't that something we can pick up relatively easily AFTER learning to speak Mandarin in a relatively reclusive location?

5. IUP Tsinghua also doesn't seem to provide as much support in terms of housing/facilities/internet access. Did anyone a problem with any of these?

6. Can someone tell me more about the evaluation process?

"In addition to completing regular written assignments, all students report on their progress in structured oral midterm exams. These presentations take place before a team of faculty." It's a bit intimidating already!

7.I'm from southern California and I've heard that Harbin weather is ridiculously cold but no one seems to really mention that in their discussion. Was there ever problems in general or in getting to class due to ice/snow/etc?

DETAILS would be much appreciated. Any other comments/notes/suggestions about programs or for me to take into consideration?

I can't comment on the program-specific questions, but I can help out with these two:

4. Beijing vs Harbin- People stated Harbin has "perfect" pronunciation and Beijing has the "rr"s but that it's important to learn to listen/understand Mandarin speakers with various regional accents. Isn't that something we can pick up relatively easily AFTER learning to speak Mandarin in a relatively reclusive location?

You're going to find plenty of people that have sub-par pronunciation everywhere--most of them with little education. However, 90% of the people you run into in Harbin will have very standard pronunciation.

On my first trip to Beijing, the 儿 twang certainly stuck out. You get it much less here in Harbin.

Accents are generally developed in the incipient stages of learning, and, though possible, are difficult to correct later on. The longer you're entrenched in a particular accent, the greater the chances that you won't be able to correct it.

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to being such a stickler for pronunciation, and picking a location that will encourage standard immersion. Developing standard pronunciation habits from the very beginning is absolutely crucial to your development. As such, I'm more inclined to think the opposite of what you said; that is, develop a standard accent first, and then move on to somewhere where the pronunciation isn't perfect. For example, you'd be better of starting off learning in Harbin and then moving south, as opposed to vice versa.

7.I'm from southern California and I've heard that Harbin weather is ridiculously cold but no one seems to really mention that in their discussion. Was there ever problems in general or in getting to class due to ice/snow/etc?

Sure, it gets cold here, but there's central heating everywhere, and aside from street vendors, no one stands outside all day. As long as you wear layers, you'll be fine.

Traffic is always chaotic for a day or two after it snows. Once the roads are cleared, though, getting to where you need to go isn't a problem. For the first two winters I was here '07 and '08), there was little snow. Last year ('09), however, there was tons--though I'm pretty sure it was all seeded to keep the city looking "fresh" for the Universidade Olympic Games that took place here.

• 1 month later...