Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Kenny同志

Two sentences, which one is better?

animal world
In Animal World’s version, would it be better to insert “well” between “corrosion” and “in” , it seems necessary.

I disagree. "Well" is one of these subjective qualifiers and weakens the writing . How "well" is "well"? 70% , 80%, 90%, 95%, or 99.9%? A property that the writer might consider "well" might be deemed "mediocre" or "unacceptable" by a reader. If the degree of resistance is THAT important it should be described concisely. Wordiness dilutes writing and instead of providing more information generally just causes confusion.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Kenny同志

What you said makes sense. I think Chinese technical writers need to imitate their western counterparts. I must admit that Chinese technical writings are horrible. They are vague, stiff, superfulous, pompous and rife with cliches.

in_lab
They are vague, stiff, superfulous, pompous and rife with cliche.

I think that describes most English technical writing too, but not "vague". What kinds of vagueness do you see in Chinese technical writing?

buanryoh

Anyone prefer 'superior' to 'excellent'

'...provides superior corrosion resistance...'

Edited by buanryoh

buanryoh

I'm wondering about the low-density and corrosion resistant properties? Is the relationship causitive? If so, perhaps we could change the sentence to something like "...are low-density and therefore provide superior corrosion resistance in many media."

anonymoose
I'm wondering about the low-density and corrosion resistant properties? Is the relationship causitive?

No, there is no necessary relationship.

Kenny同志

Thanks for the book, Roddy. I shall take a look at it on my Hanvon e-book reader and get back to you later.

roddy

Thanks Kenny. I thought it looked interesting, but you know what they say - 零分钱,零分...hang on, I've got that wrong somewhere...

Kenny同志

Roddy, I am afraid this book is a bit too deep for me. And to be honest, the subject isn't of much interest to me. Thanks all the same though. :)

li3wei1
It seems that texts in science and technology are pervasive with nouns, however I think words would lose their power if too many nouns are used.

This can also just be the language. I remember from when I was translating from French to English that the French often use nouns for things that would be adjectives or adverbs, or even verbs, in English. And British people are always complaining about the American habit of 'verbing', i.e. using nouns as verbs.