Chinese-Forums

Teaching Certificate -- Yes/No??

whr2206

Hello all,

I've been researching about teaching English in China for some time now.

Dilemma: Should I get a teaching certificate before I find a job?

It seems like most teaching certificate programs offered in China cost around $1,200 - $1,500

Some programs, however, are much cheaper --> as long as you agree to a sponsored position. (The school will pay for your training and you will be employed by your sponsor after you complete your training)

Do these certificates drastically improve your pay or chances of finding work? A few teachers I've talked to told me not to worry about it. Do different cities have different requirements for teachers? I read somewhere, for example, that Guangzhou requires a 4 year degree and a teaching certificate of some sort.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If you do recommend that I get a certificate, can you point me in the right direction? Are there are reputable TEFL/TESOL organizations that you would suggest?

Thanks a lot!

I think you will be wasting your money taking a teaching certificate(what ever that is). It would be best to come to China and find a job once you are here.

Some programs, however, are much cheaper --> as long as you agree to a sponsored position. (The school will pay for your training and you will be employed by your sponsor after you complete your training)

They are just to got you to work for less pay and more hours. 99% of schools are about making money not education.

A few teachers I've talked to told me not to worry about it.

They are correct.

If you are going to teach ESL then I think it is a waste of time and money. For me there is nothing like on the job training. And you are not going to get any better pay until you are able to talk up you teaching skills and know how the system works in Asia.

But if you are short of confidence then spend the money on the course if it will make you feel better. :D