Chinese-Forums

Advice for a new arrival.

scottyok

Hello all,

I really need some advice about my current situation before I sign the dotted line.

I recently answered an ad for teaching vacancies in China, I replied to the ad because it stated no experience required. I went along to the interview in Leeds, the company is called English International

After explainin the day to day duties of a teacher I was then told this:

1) 50% of wages deducted for the first 4months by English International

2) Interviews by employers in China, guaranteed work.

3) £200 p/m will cover food costs. £15 p/m will cover uitiliy costs.

Because all this is new to me and I'm assuming that this is the way things are normally

done.

I would really appreciate any comments, advice before I make my decision.

May also be helpful to add that I don't have a degree or experience, I do however know China and Hong Kong very well.

Scott.

And 50% of what - guaranteed work is easy, but if it's lousy pay and conditions do you actually want to be doing it.

"The way things are normally" is pretty variable, and depends what the teacher, school and agency are all willing to put up with and try to get away with. Apply the same rules you would in the UK though - don't pay for work and don't get on any planes on the promise of a job you know nothing about.

You're not in a great position without a degree or experience though.

You're not in a great position without a degree

Yes. As far as I know, you are not actually entitled to be a teacher in China if you don't have a degree. If you have other qualifications, you may be able to substitute. But you should check very carefully before you come here, because the agency may fix you up with a job illegally.

I don't know anything about your personal situation, so maybe this suggestion is way off mark, but if you are determined to come to China, maybe you could think about enrolling on a Chinese language course or something, and teach unofficially on the side. (Jobs with any reputable company (that follows the law) may still be hard to find though.)

Thanks for the information.

As far as the agency are concerned, its not a requirement to have a degree in China, however I would prefer to take the advice from people on here than the agency.

They said wages would be anything between £500/ £800 per month and that accom will vary, some will have cooking facil' some wont.

They said when we arrive we must pay for hotel accom for the first 3 nights until suitable accom is found for us.

All very odd.

This all sounds very iffy.

50% of salary deducted? Never heard of it. Accommodation may not have cooking facilities? That isn't proper accommodation. That is a room in a guest house.

They are definitely wrong if they say that a degree is not required for teaching. It is. And new regulations are being introduced all the time. In many places now, you also need a minimum of two years experience.

I'd want to know exactly what hours I'd be teaching for what precise salary. Between X and Y is sloppy and unacceptable.

I'd be very careful. Everything you say about this organisation suggests illegality.

In fact, I'd be more than careful. I'd stay well clear.

£200 a month for food is enough to eat well for two people in the UK. That is well over the top in China. These sorts of places often prey on the vulnerable. I am surprised they don't ask you to cough up a deposit as well.

£200 a month for food is enough to eat well for two people in the UK.

Are you kidding? £200 a month for 2 people equals £100 per month each. That's about £3.30 per day. Sure you can eat for £3.30 a day in the UK, but I wouldn't call it eating well. But anyway, I agree with the rest of your post.

£200 a month for food is enough to eat well for two people in the UK.

Our shopping bill (two adults plus child) comes in at just over £200 a month. It's a case of shopping around, and only buying what you'll use. I don't eat meat though so this probably lowers it a little.

50% of your pay for the first 4 months seems over the top.

But that's not my biggest problem with this.I'm more concerned that you will come to China with no teaching experience and then be dropped into a large class (maybe 60+) of bored students, with no lesson plans or resources to help you.

My first job in China was a bit rough in that way. The drop-out rate was as follows: 1/3 of all new teachers left after 2 weeks. Another 1/3 left after one term. The other 1/3 could stick out a whole year.

No matter what they told you in the U.K. I'm guessing you will get a bad school merely because of that 'no experience required'.

Other point: you might technically need a degree (I'm not so sure), but you don't need one since the law is a bit loose in these parts (Harbin, though it may be stricter in the big cites).

• 2 weeks later...