Chinese-Forums

US Server Slowdown?

Daninchina

Alright, here's a question for all you webmasters out there who may be using US-based webhosting services -

Have you noticed any slowdowns recently (in the past month or two) in connecting to your servers or websites, and if so, do you know any workarounds?

I don't know if this problem is national or simply in Guangdong (I'm based in Shenzhen), but it's really frustrating as when I try to connect to my server via FTP, the connection is always so slow that I can barely transfer a small file before the connection is dropped. I never had any problems like this a few months ago.

This seems to coincide with some slowdowns in accessing certain US-based websites that I've noticed recently...homestarrunner.com and amazon.com both are taking a lot longer to load up than ever before...(aside from those sites, I haven't been experiencing many problems otherwise).

Using China Telecom ADSL, and their "customer support'" (if you can even call it that) is useless.

While I'm relatively new to running a website in China (only have been doing so for around a year), perhaps someone out there has already had a similar problem and found a way to deal with it?

Nice forums, btw... :)

Just did some more checking around the forum; and I'm not sure if this really applies or not.

I mean, you can certainly view my website(s) in China (www.daninbusiness.com (personal), www.psschina.com (work site))...it's just that connecting to the server in the US is now ridiculously slow.

Annoying.

Any ideas?

Your sites seem to load pretty quickly from here in Beijing. is the problem only with FTP access.

If HTTP stuff is fine, but FTP isn't I'd guess it's a webhosting issue rather than a China issue.

If you are running windows, go to start, run, and type ping www.yoursite.com - this will then let you see how long it takes a packet of date to get to and from your server. Chinese-forums.com is currently showing 600ms, which is pretty bad, while sina.com.cn (china-based) is showing 44ms (and the page loads quicker than it would off my hard-drive)

I"m considering moving hosting to the US - that's where most of the visitors are (perhaps not most of the posters though). The idea of moving a 50MB database though :shock:

Roddy

Thanks for the help and good suggestions, everyone!

FTP was working slowly (but at least working) this morning; it's much slower now.

Running the Ping test, it usually times out first, then after a few more attempts it shows a response time around 630 ms...(then it times out again).

Annoying.

In no rush to switch host servers, but this is getting really hard to work with!