Chinese-Forums

How to use the interval filter

Olle Linge

Hello everybody,

I've been using ZDT for more than two years now and I doubt I've spent more time using any other program during this time. Why? Because the interval filter is everything I need to expand my vocabulary and review what I've learnt earlier. I've put some effort into writing an article about the interval filter, including things such as why it's good, how it works, how I use it, etc. I've put the article on my website, which you can read by following the link below. I'd be very happy for any comments on how to make the article clearer, or even more happy if someone else would share their own experience with suing the filter. Enjoy!

Learning Chinese using ZDT's interval filter

Olle Linge

凌雲龍

www.snigel.nu

Olle, just read your article on the interval filter. The writing was very clear and its English was excellent (i never make this compliment lightly). I'm using Mnemosyne and Anki so i'm familiar with SRS but didn't know anything about this particular filter. Actually, it sounds quite interesting. I've a few questions for you:

- how easy would it be to migrate one's database from Mnem and Anki to ZDT AND preserving the ratings one has given to one's entries? There's no point in reinventing the wheel.

- how many categories can one create? I like to use many categories and once i thoroughly know a category's contents combine it with other categories in some sort of default category. I've just devised a new approach to reading that will generate even more categories on an ongoing basis.

- does ZDT hold up well once the database reaches a certain number of entries.? In Mnemosyne I'm currently at 8,000 plus. Next year, this will be well over 10,000 and i've heard that the current version of Mnemosyne slows down once the database exceeds 10,000 entries.

- I'm forever tinkering with my Mnemosyne database (enhancements here and there, reconfiguring categories, a new approach to tackle certain tasks, etc) and just wish it had a better search function, i.e. the ability to specifically identify what you're interested in. If you want to search for "tea" the results shouldn't also give teacher, steam, etc.

I've thrown out these observations not expecting you to answer them all but maybe someone else can shed some light on some of these questions.

Thanks for the compliment; I'll see what I can do about the questions.

- how easy would it be to migrate one's database from Mnem and Anki to ZDT AND preserving the ratings one has given to one's entries? There's no point in reinventing the wheel.

I have no idea about what file format those programs are using. The ZDT file format is very, very simple and it should be possible to convert. It might take a while to figure out how to do it, but I'm sure it can be done.

- how many categories can one create? I like to use many categories and once i thoroughly know a category's contents combine it with other categories in some sort of default category. I've just devised a new approach to reading that will generate even more categories on an ongoing basis.

As many as you like, though you can't have more than one level right now. I have almost one hundred and that's okay, although a bit annoying since I can't use subfolders.

- does ZDT hold up well once the database reaches a certain number of entries.? In Mnemosyne I'm currently at 8,000 plus. Next year, this will be well over 10,000 and i've heard that the current version of Mnemosyne slows down once the database exceeds 10,000 entries.

I updated the original post about this. I have approximately 7 000 flashcards now and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with 70 000. Of course, it will be tougher and tougher to change things if you have lots of flashcards, but that will be the case with any system (imagine you change how the points are counted, which will be done retroactively in ZDT).

- I'm forever tinkering with my Mnemosyne database (enhancements here and there, reconfiguring categories, a new approach to tackle certain tasks, etc) and just wish it had a better search function, i.e. the ability to specifically identify what you're interested in. If you want to search for "tea" the results shouldn't also give teacher, steam, etc.

This is a disadvantage with ZDT, because there is no search function which allows you to search for your own flashcards from within the program (naturally, you can search the dictionary). This is not so bad, though, because I just open the backup file with a text editor and search that way.

I've thrown out these observations not expecting you to answer them all but maybe someone else can shed some light on some of these questions.

Oh, you pretty much answered my questions. Thanks for the quick response. I'll probably download ZDT and throw in such some test data to play around with it for a bit. The key thing is, of course, on whether current card rankings in Mnemosyne can be exported along (not sure how that could be possible).

Thanks again!

I can't comment on the export, but if you look around here (I think it's in the FAQ), there is an introduction to the file format. If you can extract the data in a useful format, it should be possible to convert it, although it might require some minor coding tricks. Good luck!

Pointing to one particular example would help.

In general, ZDT word files are in normal UTF-8 encoding, or in some wacko-ZDT-only format where the Unicode(?) value is printed in ASCII, e.g. "u5165u95e8u7b2cu4e03u8bfe". If it's the second, I think the easier way is to open it in ZDT, then "export" it via the backup feature, which uses normal UTF-8 encoding.

Quoting from the linked article on your website at http://www.snigel.nu/?p=5870

I think many people use ZDT or other similar programs without realising the potential of the tool they’re using...

You are right. I use ZDT daily but don't use its filters. Will start using the Interval Filter now that I have a better idea of what it does and how to use it. Appreciate your clear article.

Do you have any thoughts on the ZDT "Smart Filter" as well?

Pointing to one particular example would help.

Mea culpa :) I actually wanted to see the Schaum's vocabulary list. Just visited it again to post the link and saw a link there to download the zipped folder. This worked fine, of course.

The script i was wondering about was this:

http://zdt.sourceforge.net/word_lists/colloqial_chinese_Lesson11.txt

I don't know how useful it will prove to be so at this point i'd rather not go through the trouble of downloading Anki, import to there and then export it on to Mnemosyne. Looking at the last word list in this book, I already know most of the words and expect that overall i won't derive all that much benefit from it.

Do you have any thoughts on the ZDT "Smart Filter" as well?

When you start a new flashcard session (via the little green arrow), you can click on "Smart Filter" text, and it will bring up the configuration. It allows you to select words based on criteria such as streak, times tested, percentage correct, and when last tested.

Personally, I think it is far inferior to SRS, and I see no reason to use it.

I think it is there because earlier versions of ZDT had only Smart Filter, and no SRS.

I use both Anki and Mnemosyne and favor Mnemosyne probably for no other reason than that it's the program i started out with. To be honest, i don't see a great need for fancy bells and whistles. If i have continuing trouble to remember certain characters and words again and again, i make sure to give them low ratings so that they come back frequently. Other than that, i have a good feeling how the session goes which is sometimes affected by such factors as feeling tired or rushed.

I do like adding new words in small batches of no more than 100-300 words. And, whenever possible, i like to add them by subject (i.e. business, food, etc.). This is an easy way to learn new words as it represents a very mild form of cheating (well, the category subject gives you a hint) and deals with a group of words that are more or less related. Once i know the words in the category inside and out, i reclassify the category to the larger pool.

Others may have developed their own approach that works well for them. To each his own.