Chinese-Forums

Need Translation Help Please

eleven2

Hi. Bought an old chinese bronze vase at auction many years ago. I thought it was unsigned until recently. I looked inside and there is a 20 character mark. I think the bottom rotted off and was repaired. The person who did the repair put the bottom on upside-down, therefore the mark is inside. I hope I am showing the mark right-side-up, not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no knowledge of the language.

2799_thumb.attach

曼龚父乍宝

簋用享孝宗

室用匄眉寿

子子孙孙永宝用

Ok, in short, someone hopes that this ritual vessel

for offering sacrifices at the ancestral temple

will be a forever treasure

for his numerous sons and grandsons (for use in similar sacrifices) .

And I hope someone will provide a much better translation :D

Wow, thank you for your interest. Is this Chinese? Is there any indication of the age of this message? Do you think that the man who made the vessel created the message? Did he sign his name?

It is a large bronze vessel with inlaid enamel on the outside. Do you have any idea what kind of ritual it might have been Used for? Now I am really intrigued. Thanks again. Lee:clap

Did he sign his name?

eleven2, I am not an expert, I can assume his surname is Man (曼).

The inscription itself seems to be typical of the Shang Zhou period, but maybe this vessel was made during the Qing dynasty or maybe it's a fake, I don't know.

I looked inside and there is a 20 character mark. I think the bottom rotted off and was repaired. The person who did the repair put the bottom on upside-down, therefore the mark is inside.

"Such early Zhou inscriptions are inside the vessels, where they would be covered when in use, and it may therefore be that they were intended for the eyes of the ancestors as much as to impress the living participants"

from here, p.22

If you are intrigued you can read more in the book. Or you can find some other book on this subject.

Wow! Interesting. Could you provide a photograph of the entire vessel? I don't think this is an authentic Shang dynasty vessel. It's likely to be an imitation, I'm afraid. Not only are authentic vessels way too rare for you to have accidentally bought them in an auction, the characters also look too crisp to me :)

If I have any time left, I will see tomorrow if I can dig up anything on the original vessel.