Chinese-Forums

Your idols - non-English and non-Chinese singers anyone?

atitarev

Can we talk about songs, which are not in English or Chinese here?

For me it's Mireille Mathieu.

Pardonne-moi ce caprice d'enfant (there are better looking clips but this has a better sound)

Mireille looks here the way most remember her

Like it more than B. Streisand's "Woman in Love", the original. Edited by atitarev

He is not bad but his voice is too simple, in my opinion. :( Sorry but was he your idol?

There are a few French language singers I don't mind (Charles Aznavour), I like many Joe Dassin's songs. Especially, À toi,

and Et si tu n'existais pas

I'd mention Patricia Kaas, of course, she was great before she lost her voice.

and
Edited by atitarev

She isn't an idol, but when I was studying Spanish I admired the genre "boleros", and the artist Olga Guillot. If you're patient with this song, letting her set the mood, there's a finale with heavenly sweetness and convincing earthiness too. 2:50...3:09...3:14 is a miracle to me: I'm not referring to technique learnable in music school, but to the power of the artist to coax you into believing that their art is *real*. Someone disillusioned by the ways of the world can for a moment believe in something. That is quite a gift.

Another, more ... muscular... highs dramatic and spine-tingling:

Maria Luisa Landin - tu eres mi destino

Edited by querido

They might not be my idols (since I don't worship them :D), but there are two Japanese artists I really like: 中島みゆき and 椎名林檎. They are of very different types, though, in terms of voice, style of music, stage performance, etc. A lot of 中島みゆき's songs have been covered by Chinese singers; I'd say she's more of the "pop" genre but with heavy influence from traditional Japanese folk songs. 椎名林檎, on the other hand, classifies herself as a 新宿系 rock n' roll singer, with herself as the only person under this category... :D; nevertheless, she is very good at incorporating classic Japanese factors in her music. And there is one more common point they share: almost all of their songs are written and composed by themselves. Anyways, if you are looking for "beautiful voices", then don't even bother to try their songs; however, if you want something a bit different from what you can normally hear in Chinese or English, then you really should give it a go. They are really big names in Japan, but I really don't know how much attention they draw overseas compared to some other JPop singers.

It is hard to decide with are my favourite songs from them, so I just randomly picked two which I found on Youtube:

中島みゆき:時代

椎名林檎:りんごのうた

And lyrics:

中島みゆき:時代

椎名林檎:りんごのうた

Couldn't find English translation for the second song so could only put a Chinese version, since this is a Chinese-learning forum so I assume it would be okay? And trust me, you will need the lyrics.

Nice songs, thanks guys! :)

Some Arabic songs I like.

and romanised lyrics

Dolly Chahine (دولي شاهين) she is gorgeous.

famous Dalida - Helwa ya baladi - حلوة يا بلدي

Some Japanese songs I like, skipping Teresa Teng (邓丽君), we have a large thread devoted to her songs - Chinese and Japanese. Read here

Meiko Kaji (梶芽衣子 Kaji Meiko) - Urami Bushi

Flower of Carnage (from Kill Bill)

Utada Hikaru (宇多田ヒカル) - Flavor Of Life

Of course, I should mention some Russian songs.

I like to perform this song myself with a guitar: Yuri Loza - "Raft"(Юрий Лоза - Плот) (a bit too soft),

. Lyrics romanised and Russian

Edited by atitarev

Again, not an idol, but music with sentimental value because it recalls my two years of Russian in college. Now I'm remembering the hourly opening bells of Radio Moscow World Service too... shortwave radio... antenna in the attic... pre-internet.

I can't believe I found this on youtube. My cd by this artist must have been made in her old age, because her voice had acquired a great deal of "smoke house character". She must have been younger when this was made, but the depth is there.

Russian:

I really like the French songs! But I don't know French...:oops: Just used google translator but don't know how reliable it is. Could any one who speaks it give me some idea? Is it more accurate compared to the English-Chinese one?

Just another song from 中島みゆき:

つめたい別れ

The harmonica is played by Stevie Wonder, BTW.

You can find the lyrics on wikilyrics for this song but there is no translation, and I don't think I can find it anywhere else online. If anyone can, please do let me know, thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

If you don't mind pop-music in a language you don't understand:

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

Dil Mera Kyoon Pareshaan Hai

Dekh Ke Tujhko Aisa Lage

Jaise Barsoon Ki Pehchaan Hai

Male:

Kitni Bholi Hai Tu

Kitni Naadan Hai

Dil Ki Baaton Se

Anjaan Hai

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

Dekh Ke Tujhko Aisa Lage

Male:

Kitni Bholi Hai Tu

Kitni Naadan Hai

Dil Ki Baaton Se

Anjaan Hai

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

Dil Mera Kyoon Pareshaan Hai...

Male:

Kya Sochta Hoon

Main Kya Chahata Hoon

Hai Mushkil Tujhko Woh Bataana

Female:

Maine Suna Hai

Ki Mushkil Bada Hai

Dabi Chahaton

Ko Chupaana

Male:

Hey, Kya Sochta Hoon

Main Kya Chahata Hoon

Hai Muskil Tujhe Woh Bataana

Female:

Hoo, Maine Suna Hai

Ki Mushkil Bada Hai

Dabi Chahaton

Ko Chupaana

Male:

Raaz Tere Sabhi

Khol Degi Abhi

In Laboon Pe Jo

Muskaan Hai

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

Dil Mera Kyoon Pareshaan Hai...

Male:

Kaise Bataaon

Teri Dhadkanoon Ko

Banaaya Hai Kisne, Deewana

Female:

O, Begaane Ko

Apna Kehne Lagi Main

Baana Mera Apna, Begaana

Male:

Kaise Bataaon

Teri Dhadkanoon Ko

Banaaya Hai Kisne, Deewana

Female:

O, Begaane Ko

Apna Kehne Lagi Main

Baana Mera Apna, Begaana

Male:

Pyaar Ki Har Ghadi

Mushkilon Ki Ladi

Ye Na Samjho

Ye Aasan Hai

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

Dekh Ke Tujhko Aisa Lage

Male:

Kitni Bholi Hai Tu, Kitni Naadan Hai

Dil Ki Baaton Se, Anjaan Hai

Female:

Ajnabi Mujhko Itna Bata

La La La La La La La La La...

Lyrics in Hindi proper and romanised

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like Jin Akanishi, A Janpanese singer, but I can't upload anything about him because of copyright, if someone is interested about him, maybe you can search in Youtube. He held three concerts in Nokia Club in June 19 and June 20 and will make a tour in seven cities in America.