Chinese-Forums

Let's toast Beijing

adrianlondon

I'm going to be in Beijing from Friday 20th November for a week. I'm sure there used to be a dedicated place in these forums for arranging meetings but I can't find it; here looks as good a place as any, so ...

Between 21st and 26th November is anyone interested in meeting up for dinner? It would be great to get a group of forumites together.

I'm especially interested in meeting people at BNU as I studied there for a semester (level 101) in Autumn 2006. I'm also keen on having lunch at one of the BNU canteens; it's grief to pay cash so someone with a canteen card would be great company ;)

If anyone's interested (I know Roddy is) please post and we can sort out a suitable date/venue.

OK, how about Monday evening? Monday 23rd.

I'm not too familiar with the restaurants, so if anyone has recommendations then please say. Somewhere around Houhai, Drum & Bell Tower or BNU would be perfect as I'm most familiar with those areas.

Tuesday would have been fine as well, but Monday it is then :) I'll be staying in the Beida area, just ten minutes away from Wudaokou MRT, in what I think is called Peking University Hostel. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning, and might or might not have internet access there. A friend will lend me a SIM card, so I'll be able to use my mobile phone, but unfortunately I don't know the number yet, so I can't post it here. I should be able to find wherever you meet, though :) So any ideas as to where to meet?

Very impressed with the food; great choice Roddy.

Your company's always welcome. I think Beijing brings foreigners here for all sorts of reasons, most of them interesting (apart from those businessmen who just live in the Hilton and Sanlitun), hence it's always fun and informative to meet people here.

If anyone's curious we ate here

http://www.dianping.com/shop/508618

Vegetarian restaurant (none of us are vegetarians, I just happen to think it's a good restaurant). Not too far from the north end of Wangfujing and / or Dongsi and Zhangzizhong subways. They do the fake meat stuff, which is actually a lot better than it sounds, and loads of other delicious stuff. We ate, among many other things, this and this. Came to about 55Y per head, with tea and beers.