Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

adrianlondon

Let's toast Beijing

adrianlondon

Except for greedy people such as me, a handy hint: Never order both tea and beer. As soon as the beer arrives people lose interest in the tea ;)

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

gougou

Agree, it was a fun evening. But not sure whether my opinion counts, as I'm a businessman spending most of my time in Sanlitun...

adrianlondon

But you don't live in a hotel there and never venture anywhere else. You live in a hutong, you count ;)

Scoobyqueen

Sounds like a fun night. Wish I could have joined

Which language did you end up communicating in?

adrianlondon

English. If I wasn't there, the rest of the attendees were clever enough to have been able to chat and gossip in Mandarin. I'm not of that level, and everyone already knew my name, where I came from, and that I love Chinese food and can use chopsticks ;)

gougou
everyone already knew my name, where I came from
Bad choice of nickname if that's what you wanna talk about...

adrianlondon

People like confirmation.

Daan

A bit late, but you'll forgive me for coming down with something in Beijing and almost getting quarantained at the airport ;) Had an excellent time in Beijing, though. It was wonderful to see the city and meet up with lots of old friends. And some new friends, too, although in a way you were old friends as well. I can only second what the posters above said about the restaurant...man, that food was brilliant. Particularly the potatoes :mrgreen:

English. If I wasn't there, the rest of the attendees were clever enough to have been able to chat and gossip in Mandarin. I'm not of that level, and everyone already knew my name, where I came from, and that I love Chinese food and can use chopsticks ;)

Well, gougou and roddy, but not me, let me assure you :wink: And yeah, good point on the tea and beer! Shame I couldn't join you the other time, but there were suddenly so many friends taking me out to see stuff...man, we even ended up in a bowling alley one night. I hadn't done that in ages.

Would look forward to meeting you again sometime, and if anyone ever comes to Taipei, let me know!

isela

Wish I had been there to meet you guys, too...

After living in Texas for 2 years, one will have a feeling that s/he's stuck here with steak and BBQ. Vegetarian food sounds really tempting...

adrianlondon

If Beijing can have a thriving and tasty vegetarian restaurant I reckon anywhere can. Even Texas.

Meng Lelan

Texas does have vegetarian restaurants, isela, why didn't you ask me???

chrix

Yeah, if you're in Houston or Austin (and I'd think Dallas and San Antonio too), there's plenty to choose from... It's not just Texas BBQ or Mexican food :mrgreen:

isela

OKOK!!!

I know there are all sorts of restaurants here in Texas including vegetarians alright? And you guys won't believe how many I've been to. I actually shock myself at the end of every month looking at my credit card statement.

It seems you guys can't be fooled, not like my mom.

So, I hereby confess, that my life here isn't that miserable, and that I feel bad about my lie. Is this OK?

p.s. 真没幽默感你们这帮人!

chrix

well it's just because it's not that funny :conf Living in Texas is one of the gastronomically most diverse and international experiences I've ever had :mrgreen:

Meng Lelan

Tut, tut, once I set up my Chinese blog I'll list all the vegetarian restaurants in Texas that all of you can go for your first ever "Let's toast Texas" event. Not fair that Beijing just gets toasted.

chrix

great idea, especially since my favourite vegetarian restaurant in Houston, the Indian one on Kirby @ 59, closed down :mrgreen: