Chinese-Forums

Perapera kun 2.0

mrtee

You can configure Perapera kun to show both traditional and simplified for each character. That is an easy way to know if it is traditional or simplified, and to show the other one.

Right click the Perapera icon

Chose: Options...

Click on: Chinese

Set Hanzi Display to 'Both'

Restart Firefox

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Perapera-kun 2.1.1 has been released.

As mentioned in a previous post, 2.1 did not work for me, so I've been using 2.0. However, 2.1.1 updated flawlessly. Not sure what the changes are, but I do note I can change the icon used B)

I have not found an update for the dictionary, alas; the current one is over 10 months old.

I took a quick look earlier. With one exception, it should be really simple.

The plug-in is an .xpi file, which is really a zip file. Unzip that, and then unzip chrome/ppkChnEngDict.jar inside that, and out pops the raw CEDICT file. Replace that with a new one, zip everything back up, and you should be done.

The one exception is that in addition to that raw CEDICT file, there is also an index file. The format of this file is pretty simple, just

<trad>, <simp>; <number>

The number appears to be the byte offset into the raw CEDICT file of that word. HOWEVER, I can't figure out what order the words should be in the index file. I assume that there is some set order here, and unless you get it right it won't work.

Email to the developer might be required here.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone successfully running Perapera kun with Windows 7? Having installed Windows 7 yesterday - and then predictably spending today sorting out various issues (printer drivers etc) - getting a mouse-over-character tool to function remains my final hurdle. For that matter, is anyone out there running ANY mouse-over-Chinese tool with Firefox and Windows 7? I've tried a few with no luck.

Perapera-kun works fine for me on Win 7 64-bit + Firefox 3.6.10 too. I'm on version 2.1.1 currently but the earlier version(s) worked as well.

jbradfor, I'm just going to wait for a dictionary update I guess. I think I tried posting a message on the dev's blog but I think it didn't appear.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

perapera-kun 9.0 is out. [No, you didn't miss 2.1.1 to 9.0....]

Fixes the issue in my previous post: now places an icon in the upper right to enable / disable via a click. Also if you have it display both traditional and simplified (as I do), if they are the same, will use a dot instead of the same character again, to make it more clear that they are the same. I like that. Also, the look of the pop-up is slightly changed, I like it more.

EDIT: oh, a URL might be nice: http://www.perapera.org/ . I found it updates just fine under firefox 9.0, but tries to install the older version under firefox 3.6.

If I understand your complaint correctly, it's not a font issue. In the new version, if the simplified and the traditional are the same, it just uses a dot for the second one. Perhaps disconcerting, but I like it as it makes it clear when they are the same and when they are not.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Didn't want to create a new topic so just adding on here. Has anyone used the export words feature in Perapera? After exporting it, what's the easiest way to opening the file in excel?

I am aware there is a Import function in excel, but I can't seem to figure out what delimiters should be used and just keep getting text that is segmented in the wrong areas. Have attached a sample of the exported file here if anyone wants to know how it looks like (link).

Many thanks!