Chinese-Forums

Terms for relatives

Junior

Does anyone know of a website that gives specific translations of relatives (such as 伯父 = "father's elder brother" as opposed to just "uncle"). I want to try to learn them but the problem is finding exact definitions. Even if someone could give me a quick rundown on the main ones (uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents - i know thats a lot but i gotta learn 'em somehow and i just cant find enough info) that would be really helpful...

Can i just add, ive already looked at zhongwen.com and things like 祖父 it doesnt say whether its paternal grandfather or maternal grandfather. Or is it either? And why not 爷爷? This is why im having so much trouble :wall

This page is probably the most comprehensive one on the Internet, giving all the family relationships in Mandarin and Cantonese, including formal and informal address, from great-great grandchildren all the way to great-great grandparents:

http://www.kwanfamily.info/familytitles/familytitle.html