Chinese-Forums

why are you still using windows 98?

geek_frappa

There could be many reasons people still use Windows 98.

For example, they may be running on older computers which do not run newer operating systems well.

They may prefer tried and tested systems.

Windows '98 may be perfectly adequate for their needs and they may not be the type who has to have the newest, greatest, most-advertised product going.

Personally. I'm using Windows ME. It does everything I need it to. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade at the moment, other than to boost Mr. Gates' retirement fund.

But then I see my computer as a tool. Not a fashion accessory.

I haven't upgraded my screwdrivers either.

What is your point?

(Also, its not as easy to install Chinese language support under 98...but i think thats beside the point.)

Not to mention that the Windows 9x/Me family isn't based on the NT kernel, so it lacks the complete memory protection between applications. Therefore, when a badly written program crashes, it may end up bringing other apps or even the whole system down. Upgrade to Windows XP (which uses the NT kernel) and enjoy better stability through memory protection and full unicode support, which makes it much easier to read and write Chinese with your computer.