Chinese-Forums

Affordable Dentist in Guangzhou

b_t_v

Could anyone please recommend an inexpensive dentist in GZ? I need to get my teeth cleaned and a checkup. First, I thought it would be cheaper to get it done in China than back home. But after doing some research, I'm not so sure anymore. Are there any reliable practitioners that do it for less than RMB500 (=the cost back home)? Preferably downtown. Also, how long is the usual wait for an appointment?

hey,

usually a clean and check up should not cost more than 200RMB in China, even at a good dentist. I dont live in Guangzhou, so cant recommend one, but usually the better private dentists in Guangdong are in Shenzhen (many next to the boarder, a lot of people from Hong Kong come over to get there teeth checked for half the price what they would pay at home).

Guangzhou has two huge and pretty famous dental hospitals, Guanghua Hospital (Sun Yat Zen University) and Provincial Dental Hospital, most Chinese go there, but the service is rather bad.

• 3 weeks later...
hi, friend, it's about RMB 200 for ultrasonic scaling cleaning,

Wish I had seen this post before. I will need this done before long in Kunming and I have no idea how to say (or write it) it in Chinese.

Last time I asked if the dentist could 刷牙洗牙 but the receptionist looked at me as though I was insane. I tried to recover via adding 超声波 but I now think that must be *diagnostic* ultrasound like used for checking unborn babies in pregnant women. They looked more puzzled yet. Wound up getting the cleaning done on a visa run to Chiang Ma i清迈.

My various dictionaries have not been much help, but I'm now guessing something along the lines of 清洗牙齿.

Does anybody who has lived in China for a while know how to actually request this service? I wanted to just PM GZ Dentist, but he does not have a listed link for private messages. Thanks.

Edited by abcdefg

hey,

It is 洁牙 for scaling (cleaning your teeth), the instrument that does it is called 洁牙机. Check that the scaler unit (洁牙机)is 进口 not 国产。 Satilec or EMS are the two most popular foreign producers and both are good quality

Last time I asked if the dentist could 刷牙洗牙 but the receptionist looked at me as though I was insane. I tried to recover via adding 超声波 but I now think that must be *diagnostic* ultrasound like used for checking unborn babies in pregnant women.

Yet another cautionary tale by abcdefg. People planning to visit Kunming shouldn't rely on him to translate their medical needs. All they may want is a couple of aspirins, but thanks to his translating skills they may end up with an amputated leg and a lobotomy instead. :D

@zhouhaochen -- Thanks very much, that's exactly what I was hoping to learn. Great.

All they may want is a couple of aspirins, but thanks to his translating skills they may end up with an amputated leg and a lobotomy instead.

Right you are @animal world -- Actually I had visions of my four front teeth winding up in one of those stainless steel bowls one sometimes sees on display at the front of the streetside dental dental stalls in small towns.