Chinese-Forums

Re: Studying at Beijing Foreign Studies Uni ("BFSU")

magician

Hi there ! I am planning to go to BLSU in spring March 2010 for mandarin course for only 1 semester. I can understand and speak fairly well in mandarin, however I can't write. From what I've observed, there ain't many threads or posting on BFSU in this forum, if there were the the post are awfully old (i.e year 2007). Not too sure whether the circumstances still avail??

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me about the studying condition in BLSU. I would also like to know about the campus atmosphere, on-campus accommodation, lecturer's experience, food, etc

Oh and one more thing, a rough budget for 1 semester in BLSU (excl the tuition fees and accommodation).

Thanks and g'day:mrgreen:

hey,

didnt study there, so cant really tell. But I spoke to a teacher from there the other day regarding how to teach characters and I had the impression that they focus too much on learning them by simply writing them again and again. No focus on explaining the logic behind characters and radicals or strategies to memorise them more easily.

I tested her and she could not tell me why sick is written as 病 and good as 好. Thats pretty basic stuff one would expect teachers to know.

My personal experience at BLCU was similar as well though, a lot of rather mindless writing of characters not much explanation about tricks to memorise them.

So, thats all I know and it is only about studying characters - cant talk about speaking or listening), but as so far nobody replied, I thought maybe thats better than nothing ;)

hi there, i currently go to BFSU, aka Beijing Foreign Studies University aka 北京外国语大学aka 北外. although, i can't compare it to any other school (like BNU, BLCU), i honestly really enjoy it here. i'm not sure why there is not more information on this school but i think it's a great environment to learn. and since chinese students come here to study english or other foreign languages, it's easy to make chinese friends. a brand new chinese language building also just opened up too and all my classes are in there. in terms of teachers, my teachers at least, i really enjoy them. i think they're friendly, teach clearly, and are very approachable. sorry, can't help you with the fees part, not sure about it. good luck!

Ginjuice: I think I did a typo on my post.. lol. I actually meant BFSU instead. Great to know that you are there ! How long have you been studying mandarin in BFSU? I was contemplating whether 1 semester would be good enough for just some basic mandarin, or 2 semester would be preferable?

I can speak pretty well, but can't read mandarin at all. Strange huh? I am actually more interested in learning business mandarin (for my career), and hence taking up basic mandarin first (i.e. at least to learn reading and writing) and there on accelerate to speaking business mandarin. Do BFSU offers such arrangement?

Would greatly appreciate it if you are able to share your estimated budget on the cost of living in Beijing for 1 semester. For the tuition fees, I think it should be approximately RMB11K per semester.

Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers !

i've been here for about 3 months now. i think 1 semester is too short. i'm going to be here for a year, and i think a year is even too short!

there are 2-3 required classes during the semester: a basic 汉语 class which focuses on vocabulary, grammar, etc..; a 口语 class which focuses on more oral speaking and expressions; and a 读写 class which focuses more on reading and writing compositions. There are different levels for each class so for example if your speaking is better than your reading writing, you would take a more advanced 口语 class and a more beginner 汉语 class.

budget wise, it depends on the person and their habits. eating at the cafeteria is cheap (and quite good!) and is about 6kuai a meal. eating at a restaurant and ordering dishes can cost around 20-40kuai.

i'll be coming to minzu daxue, which i believe is just next to your uni, and i was wondering if there are any internal message boards around bfsu where other int'l students might be looking for spring semester roommates. apparently minzu daxue doesn't attract that many foreign students so i've been having trouble finding ads for someone who needs to fill a room starting in late january or early february. do you know anyone in the area looking for a roommate?

thanks!!

i've been checking out the beijinger and cityweekend but it doesn't seem like so many people have apartments or rooms available in the area. i may just end up trying to find a room in wudaokou and commuting, but it would be nice to live around weigongcun.

You won't get many ads on the English-language sites for that area, apart from the universities there just aren't that many foreigners around. Put your own ads up and you might have some luck. I used to live around there and it should be a fairly quick commute up to Wudaokou, although if you have to do it at rush hour all bets are off. You're also on Line 4 of the subway at Minda, which might open up some commuting options.

google maps tells me it's less than 6 km between minda and wudaokou and i made the trip in less than half an hour around 9am the last time i was in beijing. when you say all bets are off are you talking about finding space on the bus or the bus finding space on the road?

• 4 months later...

I guess i missed an earlier post (sorry Love_China!). There are 3 different building foreigners can live in. 白楼 and 六号楼 are located on the west campus. These are older buildings and their farther away from the Chinese classroom building, which is on the east campus. 六号楼 only has double rooms, and 白楼 has both double and single rooms. If you have a single room, you have your own bathroom as well, otherwise there are public bathrooms on each floor. 国交楼 is the nicest "dorm" located on the east campus, right next to the Chinese classroom building. There are only single rooms here, but if you want to pay less, you can pay for a single room without a bathroom, and instead use a common bathroom.

Oatur: I'm sorry, I'm not too sure about the summer classes that are being offered here. Here is the website though, I used it before I came to BFSU to contact the student office: wsclxb@bfsu.edu.cn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am going to BFSU in September for a year to study Mandarin can someone tell me about the univesity some tips

what to bring

the good and the bads

IS SOMEONE GOING TO BFSU IN SEPTEMBER ?

Thank you:lol:

M

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...