Chinese-Forums

Sogou Traditional Characters?

taiwanshaun

Hi everybody,

I just installed Sogou, and I'm struggling with getting it configured the way I want, because the interface is entirely in Chinese.

I always have to hit Ctrl-Shift-F every time I want to enter traditional characters while using Sogou Pinyin. Is there any way to make it default to typing traditional(繁體) characters? I only want to type traditional.

Also, is it possible to enter tone marks while using the Pinyin system in Sogou? Every time I press the 1-4 number keys on the keyboard for a character as I'm typing, it picks a character in the suggestion box that corresponds to that number.

Thanks!!

-- Taiwan Shaun

I use sogou to type traditional Characters too. Perhaps you should set traditional as your default. Press Control+shift+M for the menu (or the spanner icon), then choose 設置屬性 (or press P). At the second part of the pop-up 初始狀態 choose 繁體 as your default. And then press the 確定 button at the bottom of the pop-up.

Unlike window IME, Sogou does not seem to let you type in tone mark to limit the word choice. Instead it learns your pattern and what words you like to use. Just disregard the tones.

I do use sogou pinyin too, because it parses better than the Microsoft IME does and you can switch between simplified and traditional.

But seeing as the OP is located in Taiwan, I recommend you to learn bopomofo input or get some other locally available input method. Sogou is geared towards mainland and HK users, i.e. its traditional output DOES NOT adhere to the Taiwan standard (duh, I guess, but it might be important for the OP, it certainly is for me).

- some traditional characters are used differently between HK and Taiwan, for instance 裡 and 裏.

- there are some pronunciation differences between the Beijing and Taiwan standards, so sogou would force you to input Beijing standard pronunciation rather than Taiwan. (granted the number of pronunciation differences that is not just a difference in tone, are few).

- the parser is based on simplified, so there's always a risk of misconversion.

- most bopomofo input methods force you to input tones, thus giving you an opportunity to practice tones :mrgreen:

The bopomofo input is not that hard to learn, they're all grouped according to phonological principles, so I suggest you give it a try. (Back in the day I had no choice, the old European Windows traditional input method was either Cangjie or Bopomofo)

- some traditional characters are used differently between HK and Taiwan, for instance 裡 and 裏.

Some HK users like me prefer 裏 but it doesn't mean that 裡 is not used in HK or not listed in the suggested list provided by sogou. If the user keeps choosing 裡 it will probably be on the top of the suggested list.

You're right that you can "retrain" sogou. But I think it's annoying having to do so (especially if you entered an entire sentence, and you have to manually go back and change a couple of characters spread throughout the line), and also you need to *know* what the differences are.

I'm marginally familiar with Bopomofo, enough to be able to read it anyway. However, I'm extremely slow at typing using it, and seeing as I do a lot of Chinese typing on my computer, I really don't want to use it at the moment. I appreciate the heads up, thanks again guys.

Sogou's not too bad, but yeah, for a while, I was struggling to search and retrain some characters, but it's not too bad. I still do miss being able to type tones in though, for most two character words, it's not a problem, but it can be a real pain in the ass when trying to type out individual characters. Frankly, I would prefer to type tones when possible, seeing as it helps reinforce the character's pronounciation.

Thanks again!!!

• 4 months later...

taiwanshaun

You can use Microsoft's Taiwan IME and still type using Hanyu Pinyin as well as the tones. Change the preferences in your IME. You can also use a toneless key for when you are unsure of a tone or even type everything without tones, it's up to you^^

It's nice to see another Taiwan enthusiast.^^