Chinese-Forums

月饼

wushijiao

After reading this thread, I'm starting to think that I ate too many moon cakes yesterday. By putting them on a napkin, I could tell that the pastry crust is full of oil (probably lard), but what about the filling? Is there usually lard in that too? I've had a couple that were made from dates (棗泥). There were pretty good. I've got a Starbucks moon cake too, but haven't tried it yet.

I don't eat too much mooncakes nowadays.

It is not because it is unhealthy. It is because I feel it is too healthy.

Some years ago when I sliced the mooncake, the duck egg yolks inside were all golden brown in color with its golden brown fluid (I guess it must be oil) dripping down slowly towards the lotus paste. No other food was more enticing than that.

But now maybe everybody is too conscious about health. All the duck egg yolks inside the mooncakes are bland, bleak and dry.

IMO we just eat mooncake once a year, therefore we shouldn't worry too much about its health consequence but its taste.

I am more interested into the new age moon cakes, bings that have been developed with new taste in mind. The flavors tend to be more intriguing and somewhat edible. Just the other week I had a green apple moon cake that tasted like a bid Jub Jub candy.

I also came across a very interesting article online the other day. It was a press release from the Canadian Embassy here in Beijing regarding their very own moon cakes developed using Canadian ingredients. To me this is one of the best ideas for cultural exchange between two countries. But how’s the flavor?

Canadian Moon Cakes

• 1 month later...