Chinese-Forums

Age of International Students in Dalian?

sourmangoo

Hi! I'm interested in studying Chinese in a university in Dalian.

I was wondering about the international student population...how old are most of the international students (preferably who are focusing on studying Chinese)? I'm a bit on the young side, so I was wondering if most of my classmates would be graduate students who are a lot older than me.

Any views on the student population or campus life would be so appreciated!!

I don't know about Dalian in particular (although I did know one guy in his early 20's who studied Chinese there), but from my experience in Shanghai, most students come from Korea, and most of them are in China as part of their degree course, so are in the 19-21 age range. Having said that, there is still a wide range of people from other backgrounds.

Generally speaking, there tend to be a lot of Koreans and Japanese in Dalian. Whether this extends to students studying chinese or not, I couldn't say for sure, but I guess the majority of foreigners studying Chinese there will be young Koreans.

Generally speaking, there tend to be a lot of Koreans and Japanese in Dalian. Whether this extends to students studying chinese or not, I couldn't say for sure, but I guess the majority of foreigners studying Chinese there will be young Koreans.

This is not a bad guess. 2007 When i was studying in Dalian there were a lot of young Japanese, Koreans and Europeans in my classes. Most where in the 18-22 age group, so me being in my last 20's I was not the not the norm, but I did have any problems.

I was in Dalian for a few months last year. Most of my classmates were Korean, and I found that unless you were also Korean or a Russian girl, they were not very interested in befriending you. I found my Japanese and Russian classmates to be a lot more friendly. Aside from the Korean housewives and the retired Japanese guys (a demographic that's probably unique to Dalian) they were all pretty young (18-22) and I was a few years older so maybe that was one of the reasons I didn't really become good friends with any of them, maybe your experience might be a bit different.

Most of the people that I got to know there enjoyed their stay in Dalian, but I hated it. I was sick and tired of the locals asking me if I was Japanese or Korean, and there was nothing to do in the city. I enjoyed studying and living in Guangzhou a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...