Chinese-Forums

Switching from NPCR to BOYA

topple

Recently, I've been introduced to the BOYA series of Chinese textbooks. After having used NPCR 1 and 2, I must say BOYA adds some interesting elements to your Chinese studies. Although the text in each lesson aren't related to each other like in NPCR, I found the questions and exercises at the end of each lessons text in BOYA to be more practical. Also, consider this, BOYA is a "complete" series. NPCR 1-5 looks to get you to the upper-intermediate level at best - and GEEZ book 6 has been in the works for years. BOYA, on the other hand, has 3 textbooks alone that bring the Chinese learner up to the advanced level. Plus, the series is divided up as follows: Elementary (2 textbooks), Intro-Intermediate (2), Intermediate (2), Advanced (3). Also, each book is roughly 250 pages of "study-goodness". Thus, there is more than enough material to keep staying excited about learning Chinese and the vocabulary chosen seems more practical than in NPCR. BOYA also actually "includes" listening CDs as part of the regular textbook book price - something NPCR didn't do. All in all, although I haven't completely dropped NPCR from my Chinese learning regime, BOYA has moved up as my primary source for studies.

As a side note, I've found the "Spoken Chinese" series to be a great "kouyu" addition to anyone's Chinese listening efforts.

I went from NPCR 5 to Boya Intermediate and found the transition somewhat bumpy. I knew about 70% of the characters, but still spent a lot of time looking new ones up.

I didn't use anything below the intermediate level, but I didn't find the Boya Int+ to be very good for developing 口语. The texts use low-frequency, literary vocabulary, and the grammar structures are also more suited for 书面语.

I've worked through both Intermediate volumes and am currently working through the first Advanced volume. I showed Advanced volume three to my brother-in-law and he seems to think that after finishing that level one should be able to read at a 高三 level, if not 大一.

• Like 1