Chinese-Forums

Kunming Cost of Living

ShiYi

Hi!

My question is more about food since I've already got accommodation covered.

I was just wondering if anybody could give me an estimate on how much a person would spend on food each week. I'll be in Kunming for a school semester (around 5 months) studying at Yunnan University. I've heard before a person usually will spend around $20 U.S. in a week.

I'll be leaving in late February so I'd like to know whether I should start putting in some over-time at work or if I should be okay with the amount I've saved so far. :-?

Thanks :D I will probably be back later with more questions since this will be my first time being away from home.

I was in Kunming in spring 2008, here are the costs of some things at time (things are moving fast in Kunming, so things might have changed).

I shared a huge apartment with some other guy. Everyone had a private bedroom (king size bed, the girls liked it) and bathroom (the bathroom in my parents house is smaller than that one). Shared huge living room, small kitchen. It was very clean, I couldn't even find one animal inside the apartment during my 3 months stay. 1300 yuan per month total, my share was 650 yuan. 45 minutes by bus to the city center. Approximately in the middle between sujiatang and the northern bus station. It was a bargain, because right after me the total price increased to 2000 yuan per month.

100 yuan per month for water, internet, electricity.

A bowl of 牛肉面 could be bought for 5 yuan, however Kunming is moving forward very fast at the moment. During my 3 months stay some restaurants increased the prices of some dishes twice.

You get a 0.6 liter beer bottle for less than 10 yuan in many bars, although upscale places started to appear charging 20 to 50 yuan for a 0.3 liter bottle (local and imported beer).

Fruits can be purchased at cheap prices. Cold beverages to keep you refreshed can be bought for 2 yuan on the street.

Expensive restaurants (japanese, korean, western) exist in downtown and you can easily spend several hundred yuan per person there.

Taxi from downtown (where the bars are) to my place at night was always less than 50 yuan. It's way cheaper than Shanghai.

Tea at a good teahouse begins at 30 yuan (it's worth it)

Sometimes went outside around midnight to buy a pile of 烤肉 that made my stomach almost burst for 75 yuan.

I lived there for 2000 yuan per month everything included and had a great time. I guess 5000 yuan per month will buy you a king's lifestyle there. During the week I lived on a shoestring and at the weekend I enjoyed life. But $US20 per week and free housing is a little low I guess. Depends on your standards.

English tutoring jobs for 100 yuan per hour are widely available (I didn't do that, because I had already 50 hours of work per week). Foreigners are rare in Kunming.

Edited by Erbse

I lived in Kunming for almost 8 months this year. Kept a daily expense log and totaled it up at the end of each month. Food cost me between 750 and 1,000 RMB a month without being particularly frugal or careful. That included lots of times I picked up the tab for my Chinese friends. But I often bought ingredients in the market and cooked some of my solo meals at home, plus never went to bars or western restaurants. Certainly could have done it for less.

As you language skill increases, you will pay less of a "foreigner tax" on things like food.

Thank you!

Getting a job as a tutor would be great. I wasn't sure about job opportunities available to foreigners...but at least I've got back up in case the money runs out.

I plan on buying more of my staple items from GreenKunming since their drop off is right next to the university. Eating out for me will be a once in a while thing.

Erbse, it seems that you were living pretty nicely already with the 2000 yuan per month. :mrgreen:

I will definitely practice my speaking and listening before my trip with hopes that my foreigner tax won't be so high. Thanks for the tip. 8)

Does anyone know if the area around the university and Green Lake Park are fairly safe at night?

It'd be nice to walk around the lake during the evening and I know I'll be doing a lot of walking to my classes, shops and restaurants.

Also, has anyone ever had a run in with pickpockets while staying in Kunming?

Does anyone know if the area around the university and Green Lake Park are fairly safe at night?

Also, has anyone ever had a run in with pickpockets while staying in Kunming?

The area you're referring to is generally safe, but I'm still not sure I'd stroll around in the park alone at night alone unless I was going somewhere. No point in tempting fate, though honestly I don't recall hearing of any problems or ugly incidents.

I had my pocket camera stolen on a crowded bus this year just before Spring Festival (a peak time for pickpockets.) I was careless for a moment and some professional did a real slick job. Didn’t discover it missing until quite a bit later.

Thanks again.

My first visit there I only went out during the morning and afternoon with my mother and aunt.

I found Green Lake park to be a very pleasant place, especially with the older residents gathering and practicing tai chi and dancing. :mrgreen:

Never seen anything like it here.

I think I'll follow your advice though, abcdefg, it's probably best to avoid going out too late unless I've got a friend.

Sorry about your camera, it's unfortunate but it seems like an experience (even if you didn't notice until later). Hopefully my anti-mugging techniques will work out.

You guys have answered my questions so I guess that's all for now. :D

It seems like my biggest problem for now will be those guys who sell the puppies on the street...

I found Green Lake park to be a very pleasant place, especially with the older residents gathering and practicing tai chi and dancing. Never seen anything like it here.

Agree. I love it.

Pickpockets are endemic. They don’t just target foreigners. My savvy, streetwise Chinese friends get robbed occasionally too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'll revive this dormant thread in case anyone is considering a move to Kunming and wants to tap into a lively discussion of the living expenses there. That discussion is going on now on a Kunming Website and you might like to have a look, add information or ask more specifics of people who currently live there. As is often the case in such discussions, the responses of contributors vary widely and the original poster seems to have vanished.

http://www.gokunming.com/en/forums/thread/3572/average_monthly_salary_in_kunming

hi all. i left kunming in about june '08, returned august of this year.

prices? much seems the same....but the rents? holey keerap!

bus fare is still 1 rmb, the no.3 meal at kfc is still 21.50 rmb.

can still find a decent 250g packet of coffee at paul's for 25.

a decent plate of gongbaojiding with a bowl of dishwater still 7 rmb.

pork and veggies at the local markets don't seem that much higher

than i remember. maybe a 20% increase?

but the rental prices has just about doubled! my last 2/2 apartment that

was 700/month in '08, is now 1400-1500/month. apartments in newer buildings

that would have cost 1200 then, are now 2000-2500.

i've also noticed that previously most apartments came furnished, whereas now

you'll rarely find more than a few pieces of furniture.

if you're considering teaching, be sure your contract includes an apartment.

salaries have not gone up in years. if they are offering you a cash

allowance, be prepared to supplement with your savings (unless sharing).

• 4 weeks later...
but the rental prices has just about doubled! my last 2/2 apartment that was 700/month in '08, is now 1400-1500/month. apartments in newer buildings that would have cost 1200 then, are now 2000-2500.

i've also noticed that previously most apartments came furnished, whereas now you'll rarely find more than a few pieces of furniture.

I found the same in late December of 2010. It's an extremely difficult rental market. I'm thinking about moving to a different and smaller city.

Will add to this thread that landlords now generally want a two-month deposit on furnished apartments instead of one month, which was the norm for the last few years.

It is, all in all, definitely "a seller's market" -- the renter holds very few of the cards.