Chinese-Forums

Kid goes to China ALONE!!!!

Worriedmom

Am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Worriedmom? She's entitled to be worried, given she doesn't know much about China. But I agree with those who say there's really very little to worry about: it's probably safer than a random European country, for a westerner to visit.

realmayo, I understand the sentiment, and agree in part. However, reading her original post, what answer was she really expecting to get?

She posts on a forum for people learning Chinese, people that either are Chinese or like China, in a way that is rather insulting to China. The fact that she had 6 typos doesn't help her case. [i think people are more likely to pick on posts that are full of errors, consciously or otherwise.] Her phrasing of questions was pretty bad. Add that to the fact that her ignorance of other countries makes her an easy to mock target (especially from those outside the USA, who like to mock Americans' ignorance of other countries), and it's no surprise she got this response.

in my experience, jbradfor, you'll get ignorant people anywhere in this world, so in this regard, I'd be an equal-opportunity mocker. But while I would take the first post at face value, even if I had my suspicions, the second just showed thats either

a) the OP is a genuine troll

B) the OP doesn't know how to behave on a forum in general, regardless of subject matter (and you might be right the typos might subconsciously influence people, though in my case it was more the number of exclamation marks)

If someone really makes their case and appears genuinely worried, people might be more willing to accommodate them.

Regardless of the country, I'd be worried if my kid were to travel half-way around the world for someone he just met online. I hope it works out, or at least he has fun, but in my experience, these situations never play out the way you imagine them in your head.

You guys are all feeding the troll! Seriously now, communists who eat dogs? What other ghastly things could they do there?

If this isn't a troll thread, which im 99.9% sure it is, then im more cerncerned about 'worriedmom' (who based upon the username spelling and first post content, portrays oneself as an American) than the smart kid who escaped a place where such people live. Hes probably having the time of his life right now, in search of the elusive 百虎.