Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Hey everyone,

I am in a unique sort of position in regards to the scholarship.

I have just finished High School and have been accepted into BLCU for the Spring Semester 2010. However, my school contacted me in Dec 09 saying that the Chinese Embassy in Melbourne has offered one student from my school the chance to have a full scholarship in China for one year. I applied for this immediately but when I rung up the Embassy they said it would take around 3 months to hear the result. If I am successful then I will use the scholarship to stay for another 6 months.

However, because by the time I find out I will have already begun my studies and assuming they only begin the scholarship for the second semester, do you think the CSC would refund the money I have already spent on the first semester so that it becomes a one year scholarship? I don't see what difference it makes to them if they give me the scholarship.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone in a similar situation before and has managed to have their scholarship money refund previous study. Or if anyone has any experience with how lenient the CSC are with bending the rules I would be happy to hear.

Thanks, Michael.

Hi, glad you all are here!

I've been working on my application for a little while, and also browsing through both this and the old thread, and hadn't seen anybody who had applied as an Art student. I know their portfolio requirements (two sketches, two paintings and two works in another medium) but does anyone know any students who had applied for Art? I'd like to know how the color photos should be presented (just print-outs, slides, files on a disc, etc.)

I was also wondering how everyone compiled their applications? As in, did you just prepare the documents in a folder or an envelope, or did you bind it in any specific way?

Finally, (sorry for all the questions!) has anyone applied for the Bachelor's with a minor? I'd like to pad out my Art degree with a second field (probably Philosophy) so I have an avenue for Grad school.

Any help is hugely appreciated

Thanks!

I have my application all set and ready to go. Does anyone have a contact in the embassy in New York City? I would like to send my app to a specific person or department and not into the abyss.

By the way, did anyone else have to get chest x-rays? It was on the CSC form so I got them and they cost me $600 USD! I really wish the US had a national health care system.

Good luck to everyone!

Gibbs: I don't have a New York contact, but I have a lead for LA (and the shadow of a lead for DC), if that's any help...would you let me know if you find the NY info, and I'll let you know if either of mine works out? I don't know if LA would be useful to you, but I understand DC might work for any American.

Hi. I want to learn Wushu at Beijing Sports University(BSU). I tried to apply online but i can't find the wushu course in the course list. :( Can I apply for Wushu through the scholarship? Or should I apply for chinese class through CSC and pay for the wushu class myself(if that is possible)?

I want to go to BSU, can I just put BSU only as the only university choice or must I fill all 3 choices? Because I am afraid I get other universities other than BSU. Any ideas or opinions are welcome.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows when the application deadline for Sept 2010. After reading the first three pages of the forum it is looking like I am too late to apply for the 2010 language scholarship. I am currently living in Beijing on a Z visa, so I have already done the health check and a bunch of other stuff, though that probably doesn't matter. I guess I just didn't see any definite dates when I read through the forums, so I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if I am too late.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I only found this forum yesterday but I have since spent a lot of time going through the CSC pages. Firstly extrapages your effort on here is brilliant, without a doubt you know more then anybody else, chinese embassies included, about this scholarship.

I studied at BNU in 07/08 on a one year CSC scholarship. If anyone from Australia has any questions about applying let me know. Basically it was a simple process, helped by me living in Canberra, although the education contact at the embassy is a bit of a ghost, plus my University had no idea about the scholarship so I had to work it all out myself.

I have a tough quesiton at the moment which I havent found the answer to anywhere. I am trying to go back to China to study a masters, hopefully on a CSC scholarship. I have received different information so far with some people telling me I can't get the scholarship a second time while others have told me I can if it is a different type of scholarship. To throw a spanner into the works I am also currently living in Taipei until at least February but I think this problem has been answered in earlier posts.

Any help/thoughts/recommendations.

Sorry about the long post...

My apologies for the histrionic message to follow, but...

OMG WHAT? I have been following this thread in all of its various iterations since at least early 2008, and was always under the impression that applications were due in late March or early April. And, indeed, the website indicates "The above documents should be forwarded to CSC by April 30th, 2010..."

I am a US citizen, living in the US, and was intending to request BNU, BLCU, and BeiDa for language study starting in September 2010. I wasn't planning to apply through any third party or institution, as I am not currently a degree student anywhere. For those of you citing December/January deadlines, is this your situation as well? I will be completely devastated if I have missed the deadline, as I finally have decided to pursue this after years of just wishing and hoping. :( If I have missed the deadline for Fall 2010, is there any way of getting funded for Spring 2011? I am going to be so old (like, 27) if I ever manage to do this. Maybe I should just give up already.

Also, $600 for a chest x-ray? Are you completely uninsured? I am about to be enrolled in state subsidized health insurance, but I'm afraid they wouldn't cover it if it's just a gratuitous procedure. Fellow US-dwellers, any way around this? Should I fake having pneumonia :P ?

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum...so I'm not quite sure if this question has been answered or not! I'm from South Carolina thus I belong to the DC area Chinese consulate...I cannot find when the deadline for the scholarship is!? Does anyone know?

Hii all..

I am running for my CSC application now. It was realy confusing me at the begin. After following this thread (Thanks alot to extrapages), it seems easier for understanding how the procedure work. I am interesting with Xiamen University at Fujian. I tried to contact them (The Admissions) by email and asking for deadline acceptance. They replied that i can send my application through by mail after submiting online application at http://laihua.csc.edu.cn. But it still confusing me about the CSC deadline in Indonesia. I had contacted the China-Embassy in Indonesia for detail information, and still waiting for their responses. Realy hope there is enought time for preparing anything.:):):)

Ohh ya, i realy need somebody to be my holly guarantor please...I never recognize anybody in China except my exboyfriend, sighhh...

I will give more information and story at pleasure for everyone here after complete my application.

For those of you citing December/January deadlines, is this your situation as well?

I don't know if we've been able to establish for sure what the deal is with deadlines. The website does state the April 30th deadline, but some of us, myself included, have been told other deadlines by the consulates we've applied through. Your best bet is to assume that April 30th is the latest possible deadline, but that each recommending organization is free to set their individual ones earlier (as some seem to have done).

Agency Codes for online application.

After using my excellent random number generating skills I have discovered the following Agency numbers to be used in the top blank on the "Personal Data" page.

1001 - PR China Embassy in Bulgaria

3001 - PR China Embassy in Greece

4001 - PR China Embassy in Jordan

8001 - PR China Embassy in Uganda

10001 - Peking University

10002 - Renmin Univ. of China

10003 - Tsinghua Univ.

10004 - Beijing Jiaotong Univ.

10005 - Beijing Univ. of Technology.

That's all I found for now. If anyone hits on an Embassy in the US please share.

@Miri116:

1. Does it matter which embassy (in my home country) I apply to? In other words, do I need to apply to the embassy that is closest to my home address/region, or something?

Here in Australia, the Embassy in Canberra told me that you must apply to the consulate which holds jurisdiction over your state. That's worth clarifying with them in the States if you can... you don't want to send your application to a consulate which doesn't have jurisdiction over your application (in case they throw it away)... or on the other hand, send it to your local consulate who doesn't know what to do with it when you could have sent it elsewhere.

2. Since no one seems to know how competitive the scholarships are, is it ok to apply for a Chinese Goverenment Scholarship as well as a Confucius Scholarship, and just see if I can get one of them? Or is it bad to apply to both?

In New Zealand (I'm a dual national, hence commenting about both AUS and NZ since I looked into both :wink:), the Confucius scholarship is the CSC scholarship... just make sure that they are in fact different so you're not wasting time applying for the same scholarship (with a different point of application) twice over.

I read on the CSC website that you can apply for multiple CSC scholarships in one round but you can only get one offer, and they choose which one they offer you.

@longpeng and extrapages:

Thanks for your info about getting a casual teaching job!

Edited by ricardo

@MikeyNinja91:

Total speculation on my behalf based on experience with some other academic scholarship and grant bodies in general (not the CSC) is that they won't give you a refund for previous study... that's because your scholarship is awarded for a period (i.e. Sep 2010 to Aug 2011) and only covers expenses in that time frame. I've never seen a scholarship being awarded retrospectively for something you've already paid for without saying so explicitly (because then there are constraints, such as you can only claim back expenses from up to xx months ago and only for certain things).

Secondly, I don't think the scholarship grant covering your expenses will be the equivalent amount of money that you've paid already for your tuition. Because the CSC scholarship is for MOE-owned universities only, I suspect the CSC don't actually transfer fees to the uni to pay for you. They might just order the university not to charge you anything then in next year's budget they get some extra grant to cover your cost price (significantly less than what you'd be paying as fee-paying student I would imagine). That's total speculation again... but if they were paying cash to the university for your expenses then I suspect you'd also be allowed to apply non-MOE owned universities (such as the provincial or municipal owned universities).

In short, I think it's likely you're going to get an extra year ]on top of your already-paid-for 6 months. That said it's definitely worth trying to see if you can get your fees reimbursed if you don't want to stay for 1.5 years and I don't mean to discourage you from trying!

Any body know about HSK level in the CSC Application form is a must ?

Actually, i cant speak or understanding mandarin. The only one word i knew is 'xiexie' :mrgreen:. Embarrassing. I just took International toefl with assumption it will be enough by that and because the information explain the class will be taught in english. But i realize in the form asking me about Chinese or English proficiency. And for Chinese, they want Level HSK test or the certificates which can show our chinese level. Is it HSK or any other certificates mandarin proficiency needed or just optional ?

Hello everybody!!!! Who can reply me that....

1.I will apply for learning chinese language 1 semester.Can I do it??? And I don't use health certificate.that's right???

2.About agency code,it's university code.that's right???? if I choose 3 university,I must fill out 1code or 3code in online CSC application.

^ ^