Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Hmm... My apologies.

- About the deadline, I've been going to a number of sites saying different things and I read somewhere that if you're applying for a program in university X (since I really forgot which uni that was), they will only accept documents till December 30th of this year if you're interested in studying for the 2010 school year. I, too, am confused after seeing a lot of different deadlines from all those websites I checked.

- SY = School Year

- I tried entering the university code given to me by the lady from the admissions office (12055) and it reflected on the page where you get to select 3 universities. However, since I entered 12055 it automatically made the university with that number as my first university of choice. I believe you can contact the universities and ask for their respective CSC University Code. I'll try looking around and will post a link to a website should I find a listing of all the codes. I wrote 机构代码 instead of 受理机构编号 but they pertain to the same thing with respect to the application. 机构代码 basically means "Institution Code" where as

受理机构编号 means "Receiving Institution Number" so they're more or less the same. I'm no master of translations but I'm sure you get the drift。

- As for choosing between Spring and Autumn Semester, I only started bothering about it when I saw the Online Application system. There we need to indicate the duration of our study (w/ specific dates). I personally gave up on the online application since it needs a little working on.

Anyway, thanks for replying real quick.

@m000gle

I'm yet to check but if it's Fudan Daxue, I'm betting the deadline's within this month. Other universities share the same month for the deadline of submission of documents but dates do vary a lot.

As for the documents, I guess since we're all not sure of how they do the screening and verification of documents, we can only hope that our respective consulates/embassies will vouch for us should there be any lacking document.

:mrgreen:

I really don't know the details, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere either. It is very likely something specific to the universities and consulate in my area as the date was provided both by my professor and the Consul of Education.

On the downside, it just adds to the confusion and I've been dealing with the application right in the middle of an exam period, but on the upside I've basically finished the application process and can provide advice to others... ^__^

Even if the CSC website improved over the months, information's still insufficient. Even if you read the Chinese version of the documents on the site, application details are still unclear.

What can be done? Hmm... I tried e-mailing laihua@csc and a few others but none of them replied. My last option is to give them a call within the week but that will depend on whether or not I receive word from them soon.

extrapages, I guess no one can be 100% sure when it comes to applying for the csc but I am reporting what the liaison officer told me. I e-mailed to enquire about the sealed photograph for the Foreigner Physical Examination form and also if I could submit an employer's recommendation letter for the Chinese Language Training Scholarship and this was what he said to me verbatim:

"You do not need to submit the recommendation letters if you apply for Chinese Language Training Scholarship.

Sealed photograph means the hospital's seal should be stamped on both the photograph and the Physical Examination Form. The hospital will know how to do it."

I guess one cannot be penalized for being too safe..applicants for this category of scholarship might still want to submit the recommendation letters. I am making my application in Asia so I e-mailed the liaison officer in charge of Asia. Maybe someone else might want to try e-mailing another liaison officer to double confirm?

@nastyleo

Interesting... I guess it is different depending on who you apply through. I'm actually happy that mine are included, though, since they will probably make my otherwise average marks look better =P

Speaking of emails, I would highly recommend emailing your prospective universities to ensure that they are accepting from students in your category (Language, undergraduate, graduate etc). Some only accept from one or two while others accept from all, and there is no distinction in the list of HIE's (http://en.csc.edu.cn/uploads/abc.doc). Doing so actually changed my university selection quite a bit, as I had been told that Peking U was not accepting language students while Tsinghua was when the reverse was actually the case. I also got a letter of acceptance from one of the top universities in the country just from a simple inquiry like this to, in their words, "help [me] in getting the scholarship". Its certainly not necessary but a bit of extra info and contact with the university can never hurt.

These are the list of universities I emailed about accepting Chinese language students students through the government scheme:

Tsinghua - NOT accepting

Peking U - Accepting from all categories with NO specific GPA requirement (they take all documents and recommendations into consideration)

Zhejiang U - Accepting

Renmin U - Accepting from ALL categories

Capital Normal University - Accepting from ALL categories

Beijing Normal University - Accepting

East China Normal University - Accepting

Fudan - No response

Xi'an Jiao Tong - No response

after thinking about what lazyliu has discovered, ive got a theory about these agency numbers...

so, clearly, its a number given to every official CSC "recommending organization"

and if you already applied/registered for a school and THEN you apply for the scholarship, then the school would be your "agency" - in which case, your first choice, would obviously be the school that is recommending you. so it would automatically fill in that first choice, leaving the other two blank... (although when i tried out the online application with lazyliu's number, it kept my three choices BLANK.)

so im willing to bet that the universities in the States/Europe and organizations (Confucious Institutes) out there that have specific partnerships with the CSC all have their own "Agency Number". I believe that THESE numbers would still leave the university choices blank...

but we still dont know where this list is...

MAYBE EACH EMBASSY HAS ITS OWN AGENCY NUMBER?

Edited by extrapages
  • Like 1

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is familiar on how a canadian student would apply for this scholarship? Where is the application sent?

Also can a student studying western medicine in china (rather than the chinese language) appy for this particular scholarship? Thank you for your help in advance.

I think you're right about there being any number of different institutions acting as recommending organizations; I've used a local consulate (an embassy can also work), LazyLiu used the school in China and we have every reason to believe that schools and Confucius Institutes (with allocated spaces) would also have agency numbers. As with just about everything with this scholarship, one's best bet is to contact their consulate for guidance and if all else fails follow LazyLiu's lead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely separate note, I just wanted to remind everyone that the process of applying can take quite a while, so it is best to start it as early as possible. This is especially true for the medical examination which took me several weeks from start to finish (including waiting for test results and booking a slot for a follow up). For what its worth, given the fact that the process seems to be different for each person and organization involved, this is a quick rundown of my application process:

1. I was told of the scholarship in Chinese class at the end of October

2. Contacted the consulate a few days later to inquire about the process, the online application etc. It turns out that they gave me the agency #, said I did not need to worry about a guarantor and they informed me about the fact that the deadline had been changed to December 15*

3. I had my medical tests done a week into November**

4. Some results (eg. blood type) were returned quickly while others (HIV I believe) took several weeks. This cost about $100 in total and only some tests (STD's/VDRL/HIV) were covered by public health insurance.

5. My follow up appointment was on December 9, giving me less than a week to have my forms submitted, even though I started the process a month and a half before the deadline.

6. Forms submitted in person later that week including two copies of: application form (O), study plan (O), high school diploma (P), sealed university transcript (O), two different sealed letters of recommendation (O), medical exam form (P) and chest X-ray report (P).

In my case, since the consul saw the original documents when I met him, he said that regular photocopies were fine and there was no need for notarization. The same was true for the medical forms, and in this case the original is kept by the applicant. Again, due to them being sealed originals, the consul said that only one copy of each letter of recommendation and one copy of my transcript was adequate. This flexibility is likely the joy of being able to contact the consulate directly, and dealing with one which seems to be very well organized, so I would highly recommend getting their advice. On the other hand, if you can't easily contact them and have to mail forms in, then covering your bases with multiple copies, notarization etc would likely be preferable.

(P) = Photocopy

(O) = Original

* This deadline seems to be specific to my particular situation applying for this scholarship. As far as I can tell from the documentation, the CSC deadline is in the spring.

** I had plenty of hassle with the medical exam, and getting things like chest X-rays done, so if anyone needs specific advice on the form please let me know.

Tongji M,

I applied for the scholarship when I was in Korea.

You should check out the old posts - we posted up some clinics in Seoul (is that where you are) that work with the Chinese government and fill out the physical form with the quickness.

The only other thing to mention: notarization is a PAIN in korea... and expensive. =[