Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Just got an e-mail from the China Academy of Art! I'm having a minor freak out but oh well.

I can't say whether I got the scholarship or not, since they were just checking for my interest about a specific major and didn't mention actual acceptance. Still though, wow.

@ ricardo:

Yes I have received an 'urgent' phone call from Tony in Sydney. Because I applied for Masters and apparently only Renming University in Beijing was offerred I declined the scholarship (My rational is if I go to China to study my Masters I want to go to the best university there is. And because I was accepted into Tsinghua I'm not going to choose RM over Tsinghua! It'll be like choosing UWS over USYD Law!!)

Although admittedly a full scholarship would be nice, paying by myself wouldn't break the bank. Good thing I have a promise from my parents that they would support me FULLY (hehe this means money matters)

Hopefully anyone in Australia will benefit from me declining the scholarship - share the love, China!!!

@ ricardo:

Yes I have received an 'urgent' phone call from Tony in Sydney. Because I applied for Masters and apparently only Renming University in Beijing was offerred I declined the scholarship (My rational is if I go to China to study my Masters I want to go to the best university there is. And because I was accepted into Tsinghua I'm not going to choose RM over Tsinghua! It'll be like choosing UWS over USYD Law!!)

Although admittedly a full scholarship would be nice, paying by myself wouldn't break the bank. Good thing I have a promise from my parents that they would support me FULLY (hehe this means money matters)

Hopefully anyone in Australia will benefit from me declining the scholarship - share the love, China!!!

May I have your scholarship to Renmin please?

@Jenmia

Sorry to hear you didn't get the scholarship you wanted, but hope you still get to Tsinghua! At least it's affordable (relatively speaking) to go to China as a full fee paying international student.. not like the unfortunate international students who have to pay simply massive fees to come to USYD.

Update on my scholarship:

Applied for: 2 year language student full scholarship with the preferences: (1) BUAA, (2) BUCT, (3) Beida

Awarded: 2 year senior scholar full scholarship at USTB as a Chinese language student in the Chinese School for Foreigners.

Applied at: Sydney, December 2009 deadline for September 2010 commencement.

Notification: Phone call from the Education Office of the Consulate, 1 June 2010.

So I've been awarded a better scholarship than what I applied for! I was under the impression that senior scholar applications were only for undertaking doctorate or post-doctorate study in China but since I will already have a doctorate (which is in an unrelated field) before I start they've awarded me the senior scholar scholarship for language study. Secondly, I've been awarded the scholarship at a university not on my preferences list... but it's like they read my mind anyway because after I submitted my application I wished I'd applied for USTB :P

So hopefully that's a useful piece of information for future applicants - if you've already got a degree, you might be able to get a higher scholarship for language study (even if you're not going on to do a degree after). It seems it's the admitting university who decides your scholarship level, not the CSC. It doesn't say anything about my scholarship level on my JW201 (other than it's a full scholarship) or congratulatory letter from the CSC... only on my admission letter from USTB, which is dated earlier than the JW201.

Anyway, the very best of luck to those of you who haven't heard yet or are applying in future years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all!

• Like 2

Hey..

Does anyone have any clue how Malaysian scholarship awardees are notified?

There seem to be no where that I can turn to to check the status..I applied through paper application..

Congrats to those who got it..Fingers crossed..Hopefully the rest of us will hear the great news soon enough..

Any Malaysian applicants here who have already got the notice of the scholarship? How did they notify you? By phone call? Was it the embassy who called?

Thanks guys! Best of luck..

due to the super late announcement of scholarship decisions this year for eu applicants (mid july i was told), my whole plans have been messed up - i was counting on late may/early june as i planned to be in china from july onwards.

i still have one entry to china from my last visa and i'd like to use it (tourist 60 days). does anyone of you know - in case i got the scholarship - if i could change my visa right there in beijing?

this would be a great piece of help...

thanks in advance, congrats to those who already got a reply (god i am jealous!) and good luck to everyone else!!

PS @ extrapages: i'll be in beijing from july / august onwards anyway - even without scholarship! would be cool to thank u for ur great effort here with some coffee or 白酒 some time :)

due to the super late annoucement of scholarship decisions this year for eu appicants (mid july i was told)

Mid July???? OMG...That's disastrous. Who told this to you?

about the visa: I think you can converse L to X, but you will need the help of your future school... (so you should ask them about this)

Results in for Sydney!

I received a phone call today telling me to come and pick up my paperwork for the visa in relation to my CSC application. No word yet on where I've been accepted, for how long or for a full/partial scholarship... I assume I'll find out when I go to pick up my papers later this week... the suspense is killing me! :)

So, my initial contact details for the information other Australians are:

Date of contact: 1 June 2010

Method of contact: Phone call to my home number

(...)

Oh, (maybe not so) funny story.

On May 18th, I got a phone call (caller ID hidden) in Chinese. At first it didn't seem weird, I thought it was a wrong number. I could barely hear and it was breaking off quite a lot, it sounded like a recording even. My first and only reaction was trying to tell them "不说汉语". The woman repeated "不说汉语", and then not more sound for a few seconds and I hung up. It lasted 30 seconds...

I thought if it was about the scholarship they would have switched to english, and I had just reserved an hostel in Shanghai and thought it might be them, or the place where I ordered my tickets to the Expo (the official reseller in Canada).

Plus I am supposed to hear from the Ministry about this (in the canadian province of Québec which manages the scholarships here).

Hope I didn't blow it. :mellow:

Anyone get a flat out rejection yet? Maybe we should keep track of the proportion of members who do receive the scholarship to get a rough idea of the success rate. I know this won't be too accurate as people tend to not follow up once they get a rejection and scrap plans to China.

unfortunately... yes: i was told that replies (the actual paperwork sent to everyone) for eu applicants could be expected for mid july (the person in charge with the chinese embassy in austria told me that and he mentioned that counts for the whole bunch of eu-window scholarships.

there is some kind of pre-release list of chose applicants being published on the central chinese eu-mission (in belgium) around end june beginning of july here (result of pre-selection...), but that's not really any help for my situation since all that sent paperwork is required for the visa application...

:(

aaaaaaaaahhh this waiting sucks! good luck everyone still!

On May 18th, I got a phone call (caller ID hidden) in Chinese. At first it didn't seem weird, I thought it was a wrong number. I could barely hear and it was breaking off quite a lot, it sounded like a recording even. My first and only reaction was trying to tell them "不说汉语". The woman repeated "不说汉语", and then not more sound for a few seconds and I hung up. It lasted 30 seconds...

I thought if it was about the scholarship they would have switched to english, and I had just reserved an hostel in Shanghai and thought it might be them, or the place where I ordered my tickets to the Expo (the official reseller in Canada).

Plus I am supposed to hear from the Ministry about this (in the canadian province of Québec which manages the scholarships here).

Shouldn't have hung up. Next time just say English a few times.

I'd say it's probably the hostel or maybe some random wrong number... you've applied for a scholarship to *learn* Chinese, so they won't expect you to speak it well already. You could always give the Ministry a call to check on your status. It's not like you hung up out of rudeness because the line was so bad you couldn't hear, so either way I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Anyone get a flat out rejection yet? Maybe we should keep track of the proportion of members who do receive the scholarship to get a rough idea of the success rate. I know this won't be too accurate as people tend to not follow up once they get a rejection and scrap plans to China.

Last year there were about 2 or 3 (that I can remember) who posted that they were rejected... I think at least one person who was rejected said they didn't submit references or a study plan (even though in theory it's not necessary for a language scholarship).

I think you can converse L to X, but you will need the help of your future school... (so you should ask them about this)

USTB gave me a rather severe warning about entering on anything other than an X visa... something along the lines of "we won't be responsible for the consequences". IMHO it's likely going to be *much* more trouble than it's worth trying to convert your visa, I'd just pay the extra $100 and get an X visa before I left to save the hassle.

Shouldn't have hung up. Next time just say English a few times.

Yeah next time, you betcha! ;)

I'd say it's probably the hostel or maybe some random wrong number... you've applied for a scholarship to *learn* Chinese, so they won't expect you to speak it well already. You could always give the Ministry a call to check on your status. It's not like you hung up out of rudeness because the line was so bad you couldn't hear, so either way I wouldn't worry about it ;)

That's what I've been telling myself. ;)

Yeah plus back then I just started seeing a "language partner" girl, who doesn't speak good french and who had people in her family who speak only chinese, so I thought it might have been from her place or something...

Will await the response now, and I promise you guys I will post it even if it is a NO. B)

Yeah I was one of the ones rejected. Well I wasn't exactly rejected by CSC, but the embassy did not pass my paperwork along. A friend’s paperwork went at the same time and his was accepted. The only difference between the two was I was already in china. Also the Embassy didn't pass on his wife's paperwork because she made an error on the dates, put 2010 instead of 2009. So hers was rejected. Afterwards the embassy claimed they had too many apply, whereas CSC said otherwise. It seems the embassy thinks the minimal quota is the max quota. So I would call the embassy (if you sent it in that way) and see if they even bothered to mail it off in the first place.

I am happy they are doing part of the application on-line in this way at least CSC knows if the embassy staff is being plain dumb about the matter. CSC at least will know who tried to apply. That way when you call them they will probably believe you that the embassy failed to forward your information.

Last year there were about 2 or 3 (that I can remember) who posted that they were rejected... I think at least one person who was rejected said they didn't submit references or a study plan (even though in theory it's not necessary for a language scholarship).

USTB gave me a rather severe warning about entering on anything other than an X visa... something along the lines of "we won't be responsible for the consequences". IMHO it's likely going to be *much* more trouble than it's worth trying to convert your visa, I'd just pay the extra $100 and get an X visa before I left to save the hassle.

I just got an email from Tsinghua, and I got the full scholarship!! :)

I'm in Europe, but I applied through Tsinghua directly, not the embassy, so I have no idea whether the process was different for me and if other Europeans may get the answer now, too. But it might be worth it to call the embassy to check with them?

Good luck to all of you!