Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Anyone from Perth (thinking there are only about 2 of us), I spoke again to the UWA Confucius Institute admin earlier this week who emailed the embassy in Canberra. They replied to say that we should be advised early next month:

正在等基金委回复,估计下月初就有消息,估计问题不大。

I'm thinking the 估计问题不大 implies that my chances for receiving are good?

Good luck all - it helps to know that I'm not the only one losing my head with impatience!

So spent a few hours this morning running around Wudaokou to my hopeful universities to get an early answer. Qinghua didn't have any record of my application, so they recommend I try my second pick, Peking Univ. I applied for two years of Chinese study and then a three year master program of accounting. The first question I had from Peking University was if I already had my interview (needed to enter graduate studies). I explained I wanted two years of language and I was then told they would never look at my application as it would be sent to BLCU.

Pretty sure back a few pages someone mentioned that if a school of your major study had a Chinese program, then you would study both Chinese and your major study at the same school (Qinghua and Peking both have). According to Peking University, even if I was accepted to a master's program they wouldn't look at my application until I completed my Chinese studies two years from now.

I then went to my current school of BLCU and they did not have my application on file, but I was told to contact CSC directly. I already e-mailed the US CSC office, but figured I would try schools directly as it seems others have found results that way. Now, both BLCU and the other schools said they are getting applicants approved, but BLCU said there was no guarantee when mine might come in. When I explained that results were suppose to be posted anytime now, the man said sometimes they wouldn't know until September. Seeing as classes start in September, either he doesn't know what he is talking about or I'm more confused than I ever thought.

Long story short: Best to wait for response from CSC and I didn't get any good news today.

*Edit

E-mail response from D.C. contact:

"We haven't got the result from CSC."

Guessing mine was sent to Beijing office?

Well according to the last two years records the Embassy received the information around July 3rd. The individual received their info around July 7-10th. So it seems that is will be fruitless to ask until July 3rd to ask. The only difference is those who applied through a university in the US and those who applied through Confucius. I know a few from these have found out already. But these are a bit different as the CSC basically guarantees a quota to these universities, So it seems these get notification straight from CSC and a bit earlier than the ones through the embassy.

• Like 1

I applied for the eu window, is it true that i wont get to know before july 31st?

Is there any way of knowing early? How many applicants are there? How hard is it to get?

Welcome to the "EU Window" club B)

The EU window coordinator's sent a semi-automatic reply email, to our inquiries:

"The pre-selection list will be publicized on our website(www.chinamission.be)

around the end of June or early July."

No further info yet.

OK so it's soon. Who got that e-mail by the way? did you? I didn't get any.

I don't even know if my application got trough or got stuck in the mail, i will actually be happy and surprised if i get a scholarship.

Soon? I don't know. Let's hope that CSC will reconfirm the result asap (I'm almost certain that they have the pre-selected 100 names in Brussels, but without the CSC confirmation they don't want to publish it).

Anyway I hate this uncertainty. :blink:

And yes I wrote them an email early May, and a friend of mine in early June and we got the same reply...

I e-mailed my first choice and they told me my name was not among their scholars

Might want to check my post a couple up and the response by benhadad before you get too worried.

I am getting less and less sure of going back to kunming where i studied before, so if i do get the scholarship, what are the chances of getting your first choice? is it more likely to get or not to get it? both my first and second universities is in kunming.

I am getting less and less sure of going back to kunming where i studied before, so if i do get the scholarship, what are the chances of getting your first choice? is it more likely to get or not to get it? both my first and second universities is in kunming.

Hey, nice to see u around here Mr. Edenborg! Hehe.

Why u wanna go to an other place, we had a good time here in Kunming! <(X_X)>

Hehe. Anyways, actually i think that if u actually choose two universitys in Kunming as your first two

choices, than it's pretty likly you will get it, if you get the scholarship, for one in Kunming.

But I also heard of storys that some people got send to a university that was not even one of their choices to begin with. Well, I guess you have to wait and see. What was your 3rd choice?

I will most likly go to Beijing next semester. i got a Conf.Institute Scholarship for a university there.

Hope to see u around soon. ;)

Along

I e-mailed my first choice and they told me my name was not among their scholars

From what I understand the school will only know about your application if you applied to CSC through them. Of course CSC does send a final list to the schools before the announcements are made. I recall going to around 4 different Universities in my area asking and they all had a large book of names. It seems the weeks leading up to the official announcement they kept getting approval information from different locations such as CSC or other scholarship groups such as their internal group. It seems that the Confucius institute has already received approval from CSC for their group. Also on that list is the name of ones the school has pre-approved and is just waiting for CSC approval. So not having your name on the list might be an indication your not accepted by them.

Ok I went by a few schools today. Two out of four already had answers back from CSC and a list of those accepted. It seems that CSC sends a list to the school for them to do the final acceptance, if the school for some reason can not accept (lack of room, or lack of a certain program) then they will forward the application package to a different school ? (that is what they kind of told me - in Chinese). Anyway after the schools send all the paperwork back to CSC then they notify the individuals via the channel that the applications came thru. SO if you applied thru the university they can confirm it now I believe as they did with a friend of mine status. If you applied thru CSC via your home country embassy then they may have it, or it may be another week before it's confirmed it seems. SO I would recommend calling perhaps the first choice if you are really eager to find out as they might have passed it on to the second choice.

Oh and sorry I don't have a photographic memory so while I saw names I can only remember my friends' name.

Mine are

1) BLCU

2) Beida

3) Tsinghua

BLCU already has "relations" with my home university. And I figured that as my other choices were more prestigious (from what I gather), they would likely give my my first choice right away since I'm going for chinese language study.

Just about two more weeks top and we'll know. B) :huh:

Mine are

1. Tsinghua

2. Zhejiang

3. Beida

I spoke to someone at Tsinghua and she said I wasn't on their list (zhou 老师:62773076, incase anyone wants to call and ask). Apparently 唐立老师 is the contact at Zhejiang University so I have emailed her/him. My visa expires on the 19th so hopefully will find out in the next week otherwise an impromptu trip to Hong Kong will be required. Does anyone know whether, if a letter of admission is issued in Zhejiang I can process my visa in Beijing? or will I need to actually go down to Hangzhou in the next fortnight? ayeesh :)