Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

@sleepy eyes,

It is not uncommon for the university to send you an admission notice if you actually applied there. Since it seems you didn't actually apply to chongqing it would seem that it is a good chance you got accepted. It seemed by last Friday that all the schools were to decided on and return the first set of applications. Perhaps like others here your was forwarded to a different school and they accepted you and are in the process of returning the paperwork to CSC. They probably assumed since they received the paperwork from CSC that CSC isn't going to now not approve you. At least that is my theory. So it would seem that the ones first approved will be hearing Monday July 14th which matches to about the same time last time around July 11th which was before the weekend.

Thank you both!

But do you think it's possible I could get admitted somewhere else? Given it wasn't even one of my options, I'm finding that unlikely. Never heard a word about Chongqing, and it doesn't seem as cosmopolitan/full of expats as I was counting... The univeristy seems outstanding, but I have to admit the prospect of moving there is frightening me a little.

Hey guys!

I've been reading the forum for a while (actually, not only this, but the other topics as well - they are very useful and interesting :) ), but now I decided to register...

Guess what, I'm also a Hungarian applicant for the EU-Window :lol:

My 3 choices are

1. Tianjin Foreign Studies University

2. Tianjin University

3. Ocean University of China (Qingdao)

Although I dont' remember why I put the last one in, 'cos I really want to go to Tianjin... If I could completely remodel the list though, I would put Dalian on the first place for sure.

Anyways, I'm really getting desperate and tried of this waiting..... It would be quite urgent for me to know the results, so I was thinking if we don't get the results by Wednesday, I'm going to write an e-mail to the universities.

Do you think this will be useful as an EU-Window applicant? I'm not sure they even got notified about the applicants as of yet... But I've got no better idea, 'cos it seems that the "end of June - early July" thing, that the Brussels people wrote, was kind of... well, made up :roll:

Oh, and P.S. to the mods: Could you allow PM-ming for me, please? Thank you.

But do you think it's possible I could get admitted somewhere else? Given it wasn't even one of my options, I'm finding that unlikely. Never heard a word about Chongqing, and it doesn't seem as cosmopolitan/full of expats as I was counting... The univeristy seems outstanding, but I have to admit the prospect of moving there is frightening me a little.

@sleepy eyes

Highly unlikely. The CSC ultimately decides where you go. It's not uncommon for applicants to be sent to universities that were not included in their choices. Until now it's a mystery (dun dun dun), but the theories mentioned in the previous posts are plausible.

Chongqing is the new megacity that China is building in the middle of the country to encourage the development of the western provinces. It's kind of exciting to think about how in more or less ten years the place transformed from farm land to skyscraper city.

Anyway, congratulations!

A couple of questions about the scholarship in itself...

Does anyone know how the money is handed out by Tsinghua University? Do they transfer it on a bank account (international, or only chinese?), or is it possible to get it in cash?

And concerning the plane tickets: I read that they will only be paid for the citizens of countries which have signed a special agreement with China/CSC; is the list of those countries available somewhere? Or if not, I would guess it's maybe only for developing countries, which would leave Europe out of it?

Like what benhadad said, the school opens a bank account for scholars and they deposit the allowance there. For us in BLCU, the system was only implemented this semester. Since we had our own ICBC branch inside the school, naturally all of us scholars were given ICBC ATM accounts. Last semester, we had to an office to claim the entire amount.

I think your government should have informed you from the very beginning if the airfare would be subsidized. My teacher here told me that most of the scholars coming from Africa, Cuba and North Korea were sent here via bilateral economic or political programs, and so they are fully subsidized by both governments. So i think this is what that "special agreement" that the CSC is talking about.

Thank for the answers, benhadad and crisgee! I was afraid they'd transfer it on my own account and I'd have to pay insane fees every month.

Hmm, I guess no plane ticket for me, then. I'll still hold out a bit of hope, though, because I applied directly through Tsinghua University instead of my embassy, so there's probably not a single person in my country who knows I got the scholarship and who would have thought to inform me.

Did everyone get their results already or are there people still waiting?

Unless you are through the Confucius Institute or another organization authorized to hand out scholarships, I didn't think any of the results have been released.

If there was no physical examination form in the application, would they throw it in the trash right away? I cant remember if i put a copy in there or not. As i have understood everyone will have to redo it in china anyways.

Thanks, crisgee! The city seems great, I'm just worried it won' be as easy to fit in; at least in Beijing I have contacts (and a bunch of brazilians living there). But just getting the scholarship to a great school is more than enough. Let's hope I actually do get it.

Good luck to everyone!

Edenborg, I don't know if they would "throw it in the trash right away", but it's definitely mandatory. I didn't have a "perfect" application package, because Tsinghua University took care of everything for me so, presumably, they just made copies of whatever papers I had sent them to apply to the Master program -- and those didn't exactly match with what was needed for the scholarship application. And yet they didn't seem to think it was a problem, except for the physical examination form which they explicitely asked me to get and scan/email to them ASAP. So if you don't get it I guess that might be a reason why.

Edenborg:

As long as I remember you applied via Brussels. The EU Window applicants do not need to send physical examination form.

Quotation: "Applicants should take a Physical Examination only after receiving the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201) by August 10th."

I guess it's crystal clear.

BTW, I could not wait any longer to the announcement of the Brussels embassy so yesterday with the help of Leigh, contacted my top 3 choices directly. And what a suprise university, No.2 wrote back, that I am on their list, and they are preparing the admission package. I hope the official announcement will confirm this, without any twist.

So Edenborg I know you already contacted choice no.1, try to contact the others too... Maybe they will ease your anxiety a bit.

BTW, I could not wait any longer to the announcement of the Brussels embassy so yesterday with the help of Leigh, contacted my top 3 choices directly. And what a suprise university, No.2 wrote back, that I am on their list, and they are preparing the admission package. I hope the official announcement will confirm this, without any twist.

Oh wow, that's the answer to my question I posted above, then :D YAAAAY thank you \o/

May I ask if you wrote them in Chinese or English?

@esz:

of course in Chinese! English is at many places ignored.

I used the help of Leigh, because she is a very talented inquirer, especially in Chinese.

Unfortunately until you are not promoted to normal membership, you cannot pm Leigh, and join our hungarian conversation community...

Lantos, feel free to share my solution to the problem. I guess anyone could use that small little Chinese sentence to get to know their results. :) Anyways, maybe there's someone reading this who speaks better Chinese and can corret it :D