Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

take a look on this list at beijing univ.: http://www.oir.pku.edu.cn/newoir/2005/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=5890

as it seems beijing ended the "martirio", cause i dont know if this is the final csc list or the cgs list or the post-graduate list of csc like xiamen univ.Maybe someone who is on the list and in this forum can answer.

bad for me my name isn't on the list, and none brazilian guy.

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

shidiwen got his scholarship notification today - china i'm coming!!!

good luck everyone else!!

ps: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY :)

for the purpose of next years people apply, can we find the links that announce who has the scholarships and the time it was posted? Also those who get accepted

it would be nice if next year we do a favor and try to get a list to post here.

• Like 1

Just got an e-mail 10 minutes ago from D.C. contact...I'm still shaking but it looks like I'll be spending the next four years at Renmin University on full scholarship!

Thanks again to everyone, especially extrapages, for the infinite words of wisdom. Best of luck to anyone still waiting and anyone who plans to run the gauntlet for next year.

Congrats Brian!

@piasano: I'm 31 years old too and I got the scholarship. I only applied for language study though since I'm only a semester away from my master's and I'll finish it up while there. What program did you apply for?

@Johnnynue: Not sure? Hopefully all the information is included. I imagine "acceptance package" includes information about the university you are going to as well as all the visa documents you need.

Found out I'm NOT going to Jilin University. Saw they posted the scholarship results on their site and my name wasn't on there. Only 3 USA students, the rest were mostly North Korean and South Korean or Vietnamese.

So that leaves Zhejiang (hopeful) or Dalian Maritime University, which I don't really want to go to, and had a minor brain aneurysm when I wrote that down as one of my choices. :P Or maybe a place that wasn't on my list.

Oh well, I'm still happy I got the scholarship and will go wherever they send me! :)

hi all...

i am newbie in this forum. I am indonesian and yesterday someone from chinese embassy called me and said i got the scholarship. I am very happy but suddenly realize that i choose partial scholarship,I only marked tuition fee, accomodation and learning material. Anybody got this partial scholarship? im worrying about i can't get monthly allowance :( i really need it since im planning to travel around chinA.

thx for your attention:)

Congratulations on everyone that got the scholarship! B)

I just got an email from the contact person at the ministry of education here in Québec regarding the scholarship, asking me to confirm that my mailing address is the one that appears on the attached PDF letter. She didn't say much, all is in the PDF, same thing happened when she confirmed I was pre-approved. But then, the PDF is corrupted (only 1KB). Grrr!

I wrote back, waiting to get the actual PDF... But that sounded good! :)

There was a second PDF (also corrupted) names "Martel, Pascal.Uni.pdf", which lets me believe that it contains the name of the university I will go to. Sweet.

Can't wait to get the actual PDFs, confirm the address and get the forms for the visa application, etc.

Edit: Ok I got the actual PDF now. I am admitted to BLCU as a chinese language student! :)

Hey y'all I've been reading this thread ever since I got the email saying I was accepted (last week), when I wondered if anyone else was out there and what they were doing.

I am a grad student at an eastern US university, heard about the scholarship through my school and applied first through our international office to get the recommendation, then to the embassy in the US. I'm not going for language study--I applied to be a "senior scholar" (which being 25 makes me LOL) and do my thesis research. Choices were PKU, Tsinghua, and beijing normal. Not on PKU's posted list, which looks like degree students only. BJNU has also posted a list of "Beijing City Chinese Government Scholarship" recipients (apparently different from what looks like BJS winners, also listed): http://www.bnulxsh.com/news/2010/BJS-G.html Not on there either. :P But that also looks like degree-seeking graduate students only.

Anyway the elusive Ms. Contact emailed me saying she was still waiting on packages from China. Maybe they're sending admissions materials in batches? Or maybe she was just talking about my particular materials.

Sarpedon: I applied for the 2 year language study program, I'm a sophomore working on my bachelors degree with a 4.0 gpa, got a recommendation letter from the university president and one from the academic dean... the only other thing I can think of is that because I also have a full time job, the embassy or CSC might think I have enough money to pay for my schooling in China B)

I emailed the DC embassy asking what I can do to increase my chances of receiving the scholarship for next year, no reply yet though.

About increasing your chances of receiving the scholarship, I have a question too.

I think my girlfriend [oops she would kill me :)] wife will apply next year.

She was wondering how many time people here on this forum had to apply before being accepted?

And if they applied many times what finially changed before getting accepted?

Congratulations to everyone who got the scholarship!!! :clap

It's nice to finally have some good news coming out of the forums ^^

I was one of the lucky few who got the result and admission notice back in February (the assumption is our consulate has a quota, or something, since all of us applied through the same one and we seem to be unique in hearing back so early), but I can appreciate how long and agonizing the wait must have been. I can't imagine being in limbo for this long, nor would I enjoy having just over a month to prepare for the big move, but I'm sure the end result will be worth it. For everyone who got it, best of luck getting in the school you wanted...and for those who, unfortunately, didn't get it this year, try not to be discouraged. Even for the few where re-applying next year isn't an option, other opportunities to study, travel and/or work in China will surely come up, and given the resources/community here even self-study is possible.

@ricardo

On a slightly more positive note, if a get-together is happening, I'm definitely in! :D

...Also, if anyone here got into Beijing Normal University (北京师范大学), let me know. I arrive there on September 7th, and it would be nice to say "hi" in the meantime. =P

• Like 1

@piasano: I doubt your age was a factor - I'm 29 this year, so seems like they're sticking to the 35 age limit (at least in my case). While I'm nowhere even close to having a 4.0 GPA in my undergraduate or masters degrees, I will have finished my PhD (in Chemistry) by the time I start in China, so trying to compare your case and mine I can't see a huge difference. I did apply through Australia though, perhaps we just have less applicants per scholarship than where you applied from. My referees were also less high-powered than yours, I had a professor and a senior research scientist from a national lab (both my supervisors at various times), so perhaps it was just luck of the draw that you missed out this year. I also have a full-time paying "job" (PhD research scholar)... but with a "salary" of a bit over half legal minimum wage they would be right in assuming I'm not capable of saving enough to pay my own way for 2 years if that was the case. haha~ However going from comments on the 2009 and 2008 thread, it seems like financial position has been generally seen as largely irrelevant to whether you get the scholarship or not.

I also studied Mandarin in Australia (at adult education classes on weekends) for the last couple of years, perhaps picking up a class between now and next year might help your application if you haven't studied Mandarin previously. That's pure speculation on my part, but logically it makes sense that they'd prefer people who have some idea what they're getting themselves into academically.

Did you submit a study plan with your application (even though it's stated as not necessary)? While not actually a study plan per se, I wrote about half a page on how I intend to use my Mandarin language skills to benefit the community and enhance exchange between China and Australia - basically my career goals for 5 years post-scholarship and how studying Mandarin in China fits in with those.

I'm arriving at University of Science and Technology, Beijing on August 28th - is anyone else here going to USTB? I'm crossing my fingers for a non-English speaking room mate (more incentive to practice Mandarin) ;)

@ricardo,

So I assume you already have your paperwork then? I am not clear, are you doing 1 year of mandarin, 2 year, a master degree? or what?

Also you speak of living accommodations what did they tell you in your paperwork, and when are your classes starting?

duh sorry saw your earlier post

"Awarded: 2 year senior scholar full scholarship at USTB as a Chinese language student in the Chinese School for Foreigners."

I assume you will have a roommate since your a senior scholar then? I know master students and PhD are not suppose to have roommates. I haven't heard of USTB before I didn't realize there are so many schools in Beijing, is that the same as Beijing Institute of Technology? I heard of another person going to USTB for a Phd program too.

Anyway worried that they will give my wife problems with visa.

@patpat Well I hope the published list I saw for Jilin University was only degree seeking students too, that would give me hope that I'm going there for language study!

@piasano Bummer, I didn't get quite so high recommendations but my professors did know me pretty well and wrote nice letters. I also only have a 3.97 GPA ;) But I am unemployed (full time student when I applied, just got done teaching in Korea). Like ricardo I also submitted a study plan which wasn't really a plan, more of an essay stating why China is the "new land of opportunity" and how I intend to use my language skills and my newly minted MSEd when it's finished to give back to China. However unlike ricardo I put "none" on the Chinese language knowledge part and didn't give them any inclination that I had ever studied on my own or in a class. Best of luck next year, hope my info helps someone's application.

@Jonnynue

They shouldn't give your wife visa problems:

"(ix) Accompanying family dependents of a student should apply for L-visa. If accompanying family dependents submit their applications together with the student's visa application, they need to provide proof of kinship, e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc. If the student is already in China, the accompanying family dependent applies for visa separately, besides the above-mentioned documents, he or she also needs to provide the copy of the student's X-visa as well as Residence Permit." (http://www.visaforchina.com.au/visaen/visaView.html?method=readNotify&notifyId=1113#Menu=ChildMenu2)

Yeah, I got my paperwork which is as follows:

(1) JW201 Visa Application for Study in China (this form is the official MOE paperwork saying I've been awarded the scholarship, for what, where and when, along with all my personal details). it also tells me that the deadline for registration at university is 31 August.

(2) Admission letter from the university in English. This also states what I've been awarded, for what course of study and when. It also says what is included in the scholarship, and has information about how to apply for a visa and register at uni. Pretty much a standard admission letter the same you get from universities in Australia. Says that I have to register on either 30 or 31st of August and if I don't, I forfeit the scholarship and admission. Class starts on 1 September.

(3) Same as (2) but in Chinese and sealed with the university stamp - (2) isn't sealed.

(4) A welcome letter from the CSC. Details what's included in the scholarship and which documents I need to apply for a student visa.

(5) A visa application form (same as can be downloaded from the Consulate's website) and attached instructions.

(6) A sheet with the location of my nearest visa application centre on it.

No information on lodging details other than I'm being provided lodging at no cost. Speculation time again (;)): your wife's lodging won't be included in your scholarship (based on my experience of standard practice in universities). If you get in touch with the university ASAP (when you know where you're going), they might have married quarters but you'll almost certainly have to pay for them. The standard routine with CSC lodging costs in the past seems to be on a take it or leave it basis. Either you take what you're given, or forfeit that part of the scholarship entirely (i.e. no upgrades at partial cost). Again, you'll just have to sort it out with your uni...

Beijing Institute of Technology is a different university to USTB :) USTB is a materials science (historically metallurgy) university. It's staggering the number of universities there are in Beijing - coming from Sydney where we only have 2 big famous ones (not intending to be a uni snob here, just drawing a comparison between Project 211 and Group of 8...).