Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

I am applying from the UK for a language course next year. Hoping to study for the full 2 years.

The UK Agency code is 8261

I have chosen my 3 universities as Xiamen University, Shanghai International Studies University and Fudan University.

The Medical form is the only form that seems to be causing me problems - the NHS in this country don't do any of these tests for free, and, for any chest x-rays, or blood tests without reasonable cause, they are not given. So, my doctor has agreed to simply sign and stamp the form and say that everything is 'normal or negative' in the spaces for information on the form.

I haven't put a guarantor on my application, simply stated 'N/A' to a contact in China, as I don't know any.

Thanks for the kind welcome!

The Agency code is from my University, and when you insert it, it states the 'Embassy of PR China in United Kingdom' - but, the application needs to go to the EU address stated on the website (http://www.enghunan.gov.cn/Brows_by_People/5_People_study/Scholarship/200911/t20091118_180922.htm).

I have also made a separate application to Xiamen - they state you have to on their website (http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/shownews.aspx?language=en&news_id=100)

I have also found a guarantor in China.

Good luck to everyone applying!

@rxfleming

I was in the same situation here in Canada. Its generally not covered by public healthcare and ended up costing me about $100 ($60 for the "general assessment for a third party" and to have them fill out the form and $40 for the chest x-ray). It will probably be similarly priced in England. Depending on the doctor and the specific NHS policies, you may be able to get out of the cost. For example, my doctor assumed that an HIV/STD test was medically necessary for anyone in their early 20's, as was the blood type test since I didn't know it etc.

You may be able to get away with them just signing the form and stamping it. However, I'm pretty sure you need to attach a lab report for HIV/syphillis, your ECG printout and chest x-ray report.

Re: Health Costs

Well, it costs 170GBP for a referall, to a private clinic for the chest x-ray, and then another 150GBP for the x-ray itself. For the ECG, it will be 75GBP.

So, almost 400GBP for a health assessment.

My doctor agrees that it is unnecessary and hence, he can't refer me. There are more important people in the NHS system that require these tests to be done - and they aren't allowed to refer 'healthy' individuals due to waiting lists.

They can just deal with it.

£400??? OMG...I've never paid that much for any medical procedure in my life. let along something relatively basic like this. >_< Its seven times what I paid over here. As much as it may put your scholarship selection at risk, it may be more practical for you to just let the doctor sign off on it and cross your fingers. That much money is a bit steep just for what is only an application...

Right, I just received word that the deadline of application varies from university to university. In my case, my deadline's on the 15th of January.

Anyway as I was filling out my forms, a friend of mine from the mainland approached me and told me I should not write that I have a job nor should I write that I was formerly working and studying in China since the ones doing the screening would think I'm a "can afford" guy. However, I thought it wouldn't really matter since a lot of people still get admitted despite their being employed. Plus, I'm applying for a postgraduate degree and it's expected that I'd have at least a bit of work experience on me.

What's your take on this?

Has anyone had *any* contact with a Chinese government agency in Australia regarding the CSC scholarship?

I tried calling the education office in both Sydney and Melbourne, the consulate in Sydney and the embassy in Canberra 4 times each but they never pick up the phone...

I'm trying to find out where to send my application and what the deadline is here in Australia.

Richard

@rxfleming:

I think you can probably write the name of the international office co-coordinator of your first preference university in the guarantor section of the application*. If you run the Chinese of that question (on the paper application form) through Google translate, it comes out sounding more like an institutional programme coordinator's contact details.

----------

*Pure conjecture on my part... IMHO seems better to write something rather than nothing ;)

lazyliu,

its definitely not about the "can or cant afford" thing. i personally think you should build your case as a scholar who has solid experience in the field and should be supported by the government because youre an ideal candidate that could represent CSC and it's vision.

I found the archived info very helpful. I started from the beginning and the application tales were frightening, yet the July acceptance posts have given me the courage/drive to apply myself.

I am currently a self financed student at BLCU. Most of the other students in my class are on scholarship and from what I understand did not apply directly. Many simply wrote an essay through their home schools and were picked through the Confucius Institute.

I will send my application to the D.C. embassy when I visit home next month. I plan to study Chinese for three years (including this semester just ending) and then study Chinese accounting for 2-3 years (assume masters?). I noticed on the application that it only allows one section for selecting schools. Seems some picking majors and language learning are sent to one school for 1-2 years for language and then their major school after.

I want to continue to study Chinese language in Beijing for the next few years and I do not care where I study Chinese accounting.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should I apply simply as a Chinese Language Student for 1-2 years and worry about graduate classes later?

2. Should I apply for a masters scholarship and just add on the fact I need language classes? As there is only one section to select schools, where would I specify a Beijing language school apart from graduate school?

From app:

"I will agree to the arrangements of my institution and specialty of study in China made by CSC, and will not apply for any changes in these two fields without valid reasons."

Anyone apply for changes or hear of anyone who has?

brian us,

if you know youre sure about getting a masters, apply for the scholarship to cover a the costs of a master's program.

you will learn chinese for 1-2 years at the same university you will be getting your master's at before beginning to take your course classes.

I would prefer to study at BLCU, but they do not have a masters in accounting, so my list:

1. Tsinghua

2. Beijing University

3. Renmin

I know a prior post says Tsinghua is not taking scholarship holders, but from my experience with how schools are run their stance may change from day to day.

As I am asking my BLCU teachers to refer me I assume I will put BLCU as my agency code? I will look into it this week as I would ideally want Tsinghua's code if it makes it your first choice.

I brought up Chinese scholarships with my Japanese roommate and he randomly pulled out of his desk the CSC application for Japan! He seemed well aware of it and plans to apply in 2011 as he will finish school in Tokyo. A quick glance mentioned there are 110 openings (assuming only for Japan as another post mentioned 100+ for EU). He didn't know much of the details, but did say many of his classmates had received the scholarship in the past. Again with little detail it sounded like the majority were accepted. His words,"容易。"

On another note, is it true the Confucius Institute just gives out CSC scholarships in their name? I was wondering if it is worth applying to them as well, or I could just go their Beijing office and ask...

Edited by Brian US

Why are you looking for the code?

Just use the print out of the PDF version. It doesn't ask for a code.

The Confucius Institute does act as a recommending organization. You could go through them if you'd like. I don't really know if it would increase your chances - but my understanding is that you have to be enrolled as a student there...

I know a prior post says Tsinghua is not taking scholarship holders...

This was specifically them informing me that there is, "no scholarship scheme for Chinese Language Program." This didn't refer to any of the other CSC scholarship categories like yours, so your best bet would be to contact them directly. You're also correct that things like this change frequently, and emails can be lost in translation, so I would even recommend other language student applicants to do the same.