Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

@extrapages, thanks so much for the time and effort you've put into this. This is the best/only resource in English out there for this scholarship!

In other news, I've got my visa! Yay! Looks like a normal one-year multiple entry X visa.

The background: I did an immigration physical back in December '09 when I was applying to the scholarship, but when August rolled around and it was time to apply for a visa, I thought it was expired (they are supposedly valid for 6 mos). The visa officer at Washington DC told me I needed to submit a physical exam form to get an X visa, and eventually I just gave them a copy of my December exam (couldn't book a physical here in time). They took copies of the exam form itself but not of the attached results. Four days later I have a visa!

The consular websites seem to vary on whether or not X visa applicants are explicitly required to submit an exam form; interestingly the DC embassy site says nothing about X-seekers needing the exam.

I will probably have to redo the exam in China when applying for the residence permit, but given the price differential (about 5x for me), I'm totally willing!

Pat

Hey!

Is anybody going on a CSC scholarship for language training? I'm panicking, because I don't know whether I should go or not. I just graduated and feel torn between finding a job and building upp my resume and going to China to improve my Mandarin.

Are there any interesting career opportunities in China? Any life lessons someone can share? Experiences abroad?

Thanks!

@agimcomas

Really, it's hard to say. Life is, as cliché as it sounds, a journey. It's quite difficult to predict the the opportunities gained and lost by each decision you make. In my personal opinion, I think studying in China is something that will augment your résumé and more importantly, give you life experience. It's something you can talk about during an interview, and it is something that will most likely have a large impact on you, hopefully positive.

On the other hand, there are also great opportunities and experiences to be had in North America. Really, I think you need to do what makes you happy. If you do what makes you happy, I can only hope it will lead you toward some type of career path that you enjoy.

My opinion: Do it. Go to China, but everyone on this forum is biased towards this same answer.

As Captain Planet would say, "The choice is yours!"

@agimcomas

I'm in the same boat - having received two great job offers starting next year as well as the CSC scholarship, and recall at least one other person on this board also in the same position.

I agree with Helios though, and I'm going to China. Personally I think it's through the unexpected and unknown that there's the most to profit and grow from in terms of life experience, personal development etc., which is why I'm going to China. I've got the rest of my life to work, which leads me to the second point that this is perhaps the first and last chance I'll have in my life to take two years out to go and study in Beijing... later on with kids and a mortgage (which probably come rather quickly with a full time job) it'll be somewhat more difficult ;)

To illustrate Helios' point, I only ever get one of two responses from friends, family and colleagues when I tell them I'm going to learn Chinese in China. The first is "you're wasting your time, you're too old to start a career already [i'm 28], you should just find a secure job ASAP and start saving for a house". The second is "that's awesome, I want to do/wish I had done that myself". Most people tell me I'm wasting my time but the rest are quite emphatic about congratulating me for following my dreams. Anyway, what I am getting at is that it really just proves Helios' point about what makes you happy. It seems that to many of my friends, spending 2 years in China on ~$150/month sounds terrible. To me that sounds awesome :) You've gotta take the plunge and do whatever feels right at the time and not think too hard about it.

Well, my own personal experience has been varied as far as career and job experience goes.

I graduated in 2003 with a degree in English and did essentially nothing with it. I worked in non-profit doing editorial work for a while, did tech support for a while, and then after a divorce, went to Korea and taught English. I decided to go back to school to get my MSEd and am a semester away from completing it. I've just gotten the CSC scholarship for language study, and I'm taking it. I'm 31 years old.

I'm essentially starting over in my career and personal life. It's never too late, and yes, I do think this will probably cause problems for my future as younger and better qualified and experienced candidates will probably come along and be hired before me. But I'm happy, and that's all that matters.

If you think the career path you are on is something that will really be hindered by taking a year out to study Chinese, then maybe you shouldn't go. But it's up to you.

I personally plan on studying hard and doing my best and trying to make a life in China in the future, teaching, writing, or doing whatever else I might be able to do. So a career is the last thing on my mind, as long as I can pay off my student loans and have a roof over my head and rice in my belly, I'll be happy.

After reading Sarpedon's post I feel I should qualify what I said - I believe that going to China will be good for my future. If I thought it would hinder my future endeavours (and therefore make me unhappy if I had a plan I didn't want to deviate from) I wouldn't go. I agree that if you feel it would really hinder a career you're set on, it's something you should think very hard about.

If I may offer some advice in the case that you're set on a particular career - talk to some people already in the industry who you trust. The reason I say this is because in my line of work (research), 30 (as I will be when I leave Chinese school) is still young and not a late career start. However a friend who was with one of the big four global accounting firms told me it's unusual for them to hire someone in a graduate role who's over 25 and not fresh out of school.

So, 25 hours a week for the Mandarin courses. Are electives included in the scholarship money, or we pay for them if we choose to take them?

It's actually 20 hours a week for Mandarin courses. Electives are included in the scholarship, but normally fall in line with the 20 hours. For example, 16 hours of your core classes and you pick two electives to fill the extra 4 hours.

Different schools have different programs. At BLCU they have the 30 hour week intensive studies, but you will have to pay the difference in tuition.

@Brian US

I'll study at BLCU this year thanks to the CSC scholarship.

The 30-hour/week intensive study sounds awesome! Do I have to opt-in to this intensive program, or is it the default program for CSC language study scholarship recipients? Do you know how much of a difference in tuition I will have to pay for the intensive studies program?

Thank you so much for your help, Brian US!

I haven't heard of many upgrading their scholarship for more classes, so I can't speak from much experience. For some reason I can't access the BLCU website, but like paying the difference for upgrading dorms I assume it is the same for classes. I believe the 30 hours costs over 30,000 kuai compared to 23,000+ kuai for the standard school year. I assume you will be paying over 10,000 kuai, but be sure to let the school know at/before registration as the classes are in a different department.

Now, depending on your current level and where you want to focus your studies (reading, writing, grammar, speaking) I wouldn't recommend the 30 hour week. I've mentioned before that due to the large classes at BLCU you don't get much time to actually speak in class. I would suggest supplementing this with a language partner, tutor, or private classes at the many schools outside of campus. If you aren't comfortable with your study habits you may want to pace yourself as it is easier to dump a language partner than ask for tuition reimbursement.

However, many people do benefit from a 30 hour week (which is why they have it), so feel free to pm me if you want more of my opinion on the matter.

@Helios

As far as i know we can't "upgrade" to the 30/hr intensive program. CSC scholars are put in the 20hr/wk program by default. These two programs are run by different colleges within the university so it might be troublesome. If you really want extra classes, you can check out the private schools around Wudaokou and take their courses. :)

I was looking at tuition prices somewhere (was either BUAA or BUCT from memory, because I was going to pay my own way if I didn't get the scholarship) and the 30 hour/week program cost exactly 50% more than the 20 hour/week program. So as BrianUS said, you'd be looking at about an extra 10,000 per semester (or maybe a little more, since BLCU is rather pricey).

My two cents worth:

Although having only ever studied Chinese part-time at adult ed. classes, I think 16-20 hours per week is going to be quite challenging to keep up with anyway. I found myself needing to put in at least an hour of study and homework for each hour of class time, and then I was just holding my head above water in class. We were using the BLCU textbook "Meeting in China". In 2 1/4 hours of class we'd cover between a half and one lesson. So I guess BLCU designed that book so that 1 lesson + exercises = 1 day in class at BLCU (3-4 hours), which is quite a lot of study every day.

@agimcomas

I think the answer to your question really depends on why you want to go to China and why you want to learn Chinese. If you study Chinese for fun (as I did before), you have to consider whether you can afford to take a year off. There are many factors to take in consideration. Do you have a study loan to pay back ? Do you currently have a stable job offer ? How will this be considered in your field ? Can you make this be a valuable experience ? Or will recruiter just think that you didn't want to work so you found something else to do ?

However, I don't think this is the most important part, even if you have to consider it seriously. Question would be your motivation. Living in China, especially on scholarship money (aka you'll be living on Chinese middle class standard), can become a hassle if you're not prepared or not sure if this is the right choice. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great experience and I'm applying for a scholarship next year. But you will have to share a room, you won't be able to go out much (if you only have scholarship money)... And a year is a long time. If you're not sure you should be there, then you'll start wondering what you're doing there very quickly. Those who have lived a year abroad can all tell you : even if there is not much cultural difference and you make new friends, there will be times when it will be really hard for you. So, my point is, if you're sure you want to go, then you should, but BE SURE.

@Helios

The 30 hours a week program seems to be great but you know, 20H/week is not bad either. Depending on how hard your class will be, you might already find this to be quite a lot. I've never been at BLCU, only stayed 2 month at BLCI on a 20H/week, and I already had to spend a lot of time studying outside the class. Of course, I started the program with the lowest level in the class so I had to work more on my vocabulary than most but still, our teacher considered that we had to spend more time practicing on our own than in class, meaning we were supposed to study over 4H/day after class. What I did was closer to 6 hours and you'll want to keep some free time for sightseeing, going out or simply watch TV.

I guess it depends on how you intend to study Chinese. Of course, the more time you'll spend studying, the faster you'll learn...

@Ricardo

It seems courses work the same way at BLCU... We didn't have the same textbook but it was the same principle : 4H class = 1 lesson (text + exercise + correction of the previous lesson's exercises + some test). How was your class' level ? Was it right for you (did you have about the same level as other students) ? BLCI only opened three classes the time I was there : A, A2 and B so basically, they put everyone who was above A2 level in the B class. It was a nightmare, as one of the students had been living in China for a year already and another one was actually doing business in Chinese... Well, I guess at least I did learn a lot ^^ Too bad I've forgotten half of it by now...

Thank you for the information, everyone!

A 20-hour week is great too! I'll end up getting a language buddy or some type of tutoring on the side to help out, I imagine.

The 30-hour program isn't necessary, but it's nice to know they offer it. :)

Hello. Where are you applying from? Just studying Chinese or pursuing a degree? What did your local Chinese embassy say? Where and how did you get your papers notarized? Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Where did you get your Physical Exam done? Anything else you learned or would like to share?

Hi all, I'm an American, have been studying Chinese for the past two years at Communications University in Beijing (have payed for it myself). Now I'm looking into applying for the China Government Scholarship, I want to study for an undergrad degree, starting next year in September (as I understand this year is too late to apply).

I wish I had found this forum earlier as it would've made my life simpler....I've had to do a lot of digging to find out any info at all. Since I am currently in Beijing, I started by calling the American embassy here (mistake), they didn't know anything about it. I then called the CSC office and they told me to go through the Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles (the consulate nearest my home in the States). I first checked their website, which had no info in English about applying for the scholarship, it's all in Chinese. Was up half the night trying to get through to someone in the Education Department there. When I finally was able to talk to someone, they were extremely brief. They said it was too early to apply, and that they wouldn't have info until later (they couldn't say when). Hmmm....so I tried calling the Chinese consulate in San Fransisco, they were more helpful and said they usually hear word from the Ministry of Education by November. So that's where I'm at. I guess I'll have to wait till then to find out more.

Until then, I'd like to contact extrapages, I've found your posts very helpful. Is there any way I could PM you with my questions? :D It's not many Americans that choose to do their undergrad degree here, so it's kind of new. If there's any Americans who've done their undergrads through a CSC scholarship I would REALLY appreciate hearing your story!!

Will keep you all updated on the application process.....

@ansileran

I haven't started class in Beijing yet (so haven't been graded) but here in Australia I left Chinese class at the equivalent of second year Bachelors degree Chinese language major level (in Australia).

What you described about the grading is what I'm afraid of... afraid of being put into a class where I have to re-learn pinyin and "nihao, wo jiao ricardo". ;)

Brian, you're just the person I want to contact! Congratz on getting the scholarship, how are you liking it so far? You've done what I'm trying to do now (get a scholarship for an undergrad). Could you give me more details of how you went about applying for the scholarship?

I'm American, 21, just finished two years of language study in Beijing, need help and tips!!