Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

@helixness:

Wow! You were able to get a hold of them via phone. I've never tried calling them, but I've heard it's quite difficult.

Thanks for sharing the start date for application reviews. That should light the fire under some people's butts. Ha ha!

Also, thanks for verifying that LA can accept CSC scholarship applications. I know, I was a bit confused about this matter last year. What I think some people did was to send their applications to the DC embassy because it is more frequently mentioned than the other consulates in the US. However, with your confirmation, we can now safely say that the LA can accept CSC scholarships as well.

FYI, I applied for the scholarship from China, and it was awarded; so, residing in China should not be a problem. Furthermore, I do believe others have done this.

It makes sense that the Ministry of Education would not require a HS diploma for the language study. Language study seems to be largely part of their outreach program. Well, the whole CSC scholarship program is part of their outreach efforts, but especially the language portion.

Helixiness: Good news! Sounds like you're good to go! Could you give the number that you phoned when you called the LA consulate? I phoned but perhaps I got the wrong department or something, they didn't seem able to give any info. I'm applying to do a degree program and want to confirm that they will accept the GED.

The number is located on the Contact us page and under "Education":

http://losangeles.china-consulate.org/eng/aboutus/contactus/

Education Office 213-807-8009 or 8023

education@chinaconsulatela.org

The email does not work, it will send back a postmaster error.

I got a friendly person answer quickly and did not have to explain what the CSC was.

If anyone is still wondering about ongoing health exam drama, I arrived in China for registration recently and was again to fake out the "verification" officials at school with 10-month-old "expired" forms. We'll see if PSB gives me my residence permit, but I have no reason to expect they won't.

Also just got my resettlement subsidy and first month's payout. Getting 30+ 100 kuai bills at once made me feel pretty rich, let me tell you!

Meeting lots of fun folks so far (none Chinese yet! :-p) and things are moving fast. Hope everyone out there is having good experiences registering and embarking on CSC related journeys.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, previous stalker of this thread here! Lots and lots to read, all of it useful!

I'm in New Zealand and applied for what's known as the "NZ-China Scholarship", administered by the Auckland branch of the Confucius Institute (CI). The deadline for this was July 2010 for one years study in China in 2011 beginning in Feb/March. There are 10 scholarships available every year. I was chosen as one of the 10 "the Confucius Institute is recommending to the China Scholarship Council to receive a scholarship for your study in China, beginning in February or March 2011 (depending on the calendar of the university you attend)." I was also told "final acceptance for a scholarship ultimately rests with the China Scholarship Council." I was sent this email on September 23. I had to sign terms & conditions and return those to the CI. I received another e-mail today in which the standard CSC application form was attached, along with the medical examination form.

I was also told "New Zealand scholarship students will be placed in one of approximately eighty institutions. The China Scholarship Council application form asks you to list your three preferences. Final acceptance will be at the discretion of the tertiary institutions." So it seems the universities do indeed have an influence. I need to give back the CSC application form along with 2 copies of all the additional documentation by 29 Oct. Then, as far as I know, it's out of my hands. I was told that I should find out the final result before the end of the semester (Nov 15). Fingers crossed.

My three choices for Universities are:

1) Zhejiang Daxue 浙江大学

2) Yunnan Shifan Daxue 云南师范大学

3) ????

I'm not sure what my third choice should be...maybe I'll just put BLCU.

Now I have to wade through getting all the paperwork together before the end of the month. Will keep you posted on any progress/helpful info. Questions welcome!

Hi, I'm from the United States and I would like to go to China just to study Chinese next year. I'm still in High School right now, and I'm applying to college, but I will get a deferral on my admission so that I can go to China next year. I still don't have my high school diploma, but by the time I want to go I will get it. Is there any way I can still apply for the scholarship?

@Etwood

I'm not familliar with the specific Confucius Scholarship you mentioned, but it seems to be similar to the regular CSC one, albeit with different dates. Hopefully you'll get it. I've only heard good things about BCLU, so it can make a great third choice. However, I would be biased to BNU where I'm currently studying... The deciding factors for me, at the time of application, were that I preferred the more central location and figured there could be advantages to having a larger proportion of domestic students. You'll probably have a good experience at most schools, though, so I wouldn't fuss too much.

@hunchi

I would recommend checking with your local consulate about the fact you won't, yet, have the diploma at the time of application. I'm under the impression that you should be fine as long as you graduate before you leave for China, but I'm not 100% sure. One other problem you may run into is not getting your CSC acceptance until as late as July or August, well after the deadline to defer your College acceptance. Starting in China next year may be possible, but it might not be a bad idea to wait a year or two before heading to China.

Thanks for your advice m000gle! I've changed my choices to 1. 南京大学 2. 浙江大学 3.复旦大学 or BLCU. But you're right, I plan on making the most of my time in China, no matter where I'm going. At the end of the day it's not so much the quality of teaching but what you make of the teaching that counts, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if the LA Consulate gave you a specific date for when they were accepting applications?

The online application was added 11/30/2009 for last year, so I would wait until the new one is put out. If you are applying directly to the CSC the deadline will probably be April 30th, 2011. I'll be continuing the thread from Extrapages, so I'll try to get CSC 2011 started this weekend.

@crisgee,

Any updates from Weirdo or anybody applying from the Philippines?

Would you know when the deadline is to submit applications for the following year? I understand it's different depending on the accepting agency. Also, what time of the year did you apply for both scholarships? Just in case there might be a best time (first in line?! :P ).

Thank you!!

Thanks Brian, will be waiting for the new thread for 2011. I thought that you couldn't apply directly to CSC? By online form you aren't referring to the PDF that you have to print out and fill and mail to the consulate, you're referring to the form that you fill out online? A little confused now. ;)

Thanks Brian, will be waiting for the new thread for 2011. I thought that you couldn't apply directly to CSC? By online form you aren't referring to the PDF that you have to print out and fill and mail to the consulate, you're referring to the form that you fill out online? A little confused now.

I applied directly to the CSC and got the scholarship. We don't know how the online application works, but yes I was referring to the print out PDF.

I'm wondering if the letter of recommendation needs to be sealed. Any idea on this?

Mine were not and I got the scholarship.

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I've read most of the post but I'm not sure if all info are up-to-date. I'm from the Philippines and I want to apply for scholarship for BLCU's language program. I've read crisgee's posts last Aug 2009. Is this still the process for Philippine application? thanks! :)

• New Members

^great, thanks. I'm now in the process of securing some letter of recommendations. I got one from my Manager at work. I hope that's okay. I think I will have a harder time requesting from my previous professors.

Hi All!

I just had a "pre-departure meeting" for the scholarship where the CI people answered some questions the recipients had. They also e-mailed us reports from last years recipients, so if anyone would like these reports (very informative about registration procedure, dorms, life in China etc), send me a message with your email and I'll send them to you. There are 3 reports from students from Fudan University in Shanghai, 1 from Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, one from Sun Yat Sen University in Guangzhou and 1 from Renmin University in Beijing.

Cheers!

Does anyone here knows the deadline for 2011-2012 CSC scholarship for Canada (Ontario)?

It seems a lot of them are due the end of April but as far as I remember, last year was the middle of December. I have been sending emails to the Chinese embassy in Toronto, sadly no answer so far.

Since I am already in China, I thought I could extend my scholarship here but reading the old thread, it seems I have to send all my documents back to Canada just like the first time:S

If anyone knows the deadline for Ontario, can you please forward me a link so I can start asking the reference letters and ordering my transcripts? Thanks a lot!!

I have been sending emails to the Chinese embassy in Toronto, sadly no answer so far.

I have the Ontario contact. When contacting Chinese offices try to call and e-mail, because sometimes only one works. Yet, most of the time neither work and the only way is to go straight to the office. I know this is not possible when you are currently in China...

Does anyone here knows the deadline for 2011-2012 CSC scholarship for Canada (Ontario)?

Deadlines differ if you are applying directly to the CSC or through another organization like the Confucius Institute.

The current chain of command that we know of is as follows:

1. Send application to 3rd party representing CSC

2. 3rd party to CSC native country

3. CSC sends to Beijing office

4. Beijing office to selected schools

5. (Final approval) selected schools to Beijing

6. Beijing to CSC native country

7. CSC native country sends you results

At any point of this application procedure you may be declined. Again we don't know how, why, or when this happens. Seems like this information would go great in a new thread that I've said I would put out...

I found that the Toronto/Ontario consulate responded to emails fairly quickly (usually with in a day or two at most) and I even had some luck getting through on the phone. Last year's deadline was December 15th, though, so time could be tight at this point. Their consulate contact list is located here, including the Education Office which processes the CSC Scholarship Applications (...and I assume extensions).

Good Luck!