Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2010

extrapages

Hi LazyLiu

I'm a Filipino CSC scholar currently studying in BLCU. Have you checked CHED? Last April, when i called the embassy to tell them i was going to submit my stuff they told me to give it to CHED, which is the recommending organization at that time. Did the embassy mean this has changed?

And agency codes, online application??... hmmm. Interesting.

Hello!

Last year my chinese teacher made me enter the chinese bridge competition, from which I later was awarded a chinese government scholarship. Since I've already been awarded the scholarship, how do I pick the schools I want to attend?

I assume normally you fill it out with your scholarship application?

If anyone had a similar experience, please help me out :oops:

Quote:

Just use the print out of the PDF version.

Sorry if I missed this, but should we just ignore the online application then?

The online form just generates a PDF, with the information you filled in, to be printed and submitted along with your other documents. You can fill it out by hand if you want, but in my case my local consulate was able to see that it had been completed/submitted online. So, it may be advantageous to do it that way, but we really don't know. Simply put:

If you can fill it out online and print multiple copies, do so. If you can't, then fill them out by hand.

xauner,

how do you know youve already been awarded the scholarship? i wouldnt bet on any kind of verbal agreement that was made. and i doubt they would have let you skip the entire application process - a part of which would ask you to choose your schools. i also dont think they would guarantee a scholarship without you having first filled out the physical exam and gotten it approved.

---

update: is this what youre talking about?

1. it looks like your supposed to talk with Hanban and give your application to them.

2. why am i doing your research for you? it's called google.

http://www.admissions.cn/education/18323.shtml

5. To qualify for the scholarship

a. Hanban is responsible for checking of the authenticity of the applying materials. If the applicants are not qualified or the applying materials are not complete, the application will be considered invalid and will not be further considered.

b. The scholarship winners will be arranged into the assigned high educational institutions or universities for study. The study period usually cannot be changed and it will be printed on the Letter of Notice for Enrollment.

c. The institutions or universities will send the roll of enrollment and the letters of notice for enrollment to related Chinese embassies or consulates, whose addresses will be provided by Hanban. These applicants will then get their materials from their corresponding embassies or consulates.

Well first of all, ty for finding that information. Believe me, I tried, apparently not hard enough though.

And I got a diploma saying that I've been awarded the scholarship and they told me to e-mail the embassy which I've done and they seem to be aware of the fact that I've been awarded the scholarship. Problem was/is that they're not very clear on how to apply to the schools and that's why I asked in this forum.

My teacher did say that I'll have to do a medical exam and all that but they're not really clear on the when and how and such. But since there's not advanced chinese class I don't have the oppurtunity to meet her anymore so I haven't been able to ask her any further questions.

Anyways, thanks for the information. Really appreciate it :)

And I'll update how it goes incase someone else wants to know later on.

xauner,

i dont think you should be talking to your teacher, but to the person that is your hanban connection. whoever it was that organized that competition. and you should use the application available to everyone... that way you can still choose your schools, use the same physical exam, etc. and youd attach that "diploma" when you send it to your contact at the embassy.

If there are any other Australians (particularly from Sydney) here, here's some useful info I found out:

1). The closing date in Sydney for the language scholarship is December 26th! The Consul of the Education Office told me that directly, so can't argue with that... that's not school-specific (following on from previous discussions about early closing dates this year), just the blanket deadline for CSC applications, period.

2) The Consul said you must to submit your application through your university, however my university (Sydney Uni, one of the biggest ones here in Australia) told me to apply directly to the education office of the consulate (?).

3) Medicare will cover the total cost of your Foreigner Physical Examination including the pathology report, chest x-ray and ECG so the medical won't cost you a cent if you go to a bulk-billing medical centre. You'll need referrals from your doctor for all those but I had no problems getting them. Pathology took two days for results (for HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis), the x-ray and ECG results I had on the spot.

4) It's the Education Office in Kensington which handles the applications, not the consulate in Camperdown (I confirmed that with the Embassy in Canberra).

5) I had my medical doctor notarise my application at the same time as the medical - I'm not sure if this is legitimate or not, but it doesn't say who is qualified to notarise (and at least here in NSW some other professions are sometimes qualified to do that depending on what it's for) and I was out of time facing the deadline of the 26th :)

So, fingers crossed and good luck to all the other 2010 applicants!

Just wanted to make a few comments here as someone who got the scholoarship and is currently in china enrolled in the program.

1. Medical exam. Don't waste any money on this they won't accept it once you get here no matter where you got it. Why? Because they only recognize one or two facilities here. Its a guanxi thing. They have a facilities they partner with here and they take all the students there at one time and process them and do the exam. It cost around 600 kuai. THIS IS THE ONLY EXAM THEY WILL EXCEPT!!!! But you will still need one for your application. A recommendation I was given but did not follow was to take the form to the clinic and just say they want a general look over to make sure I was not obviously sick. Then have the doctor check whatever boxes he wants. After he signes/stamps it, you fill in the blanks. Now a warning if you fill in something and it's wrong that's on your head. What I mean is let's say you get accepted no matter what you will have to get the Chinese exam. So if it shows up you have HIV/AIDS you will have spent a lot of time and effort for nothing.

2. What to study. If you apply for the Bachelors to study Chinese language you might as well not apply (this mainly for US/Canadian). Why? They are way over capacity here for teaching foreign language. Meaning that they have in 2009 double the students they had last year and most universities didn't even have the dorm rooms to put them up. Some students did a boycott at one university here because of it.

3. If you are from the US/Canada do you really want a Chinese scholarship? Keep in mind these are Chinese schools and instead of you paying they are footing the bill. That means THEY OWN YOU! You will be compared to the other Chinese university students and how they perform and do work. Remember your fellow students have fought millions of other students to just get into college here. They study all day and all night it seems. Your teachers will expect the same of you.

4. The 1 year language prep course. Again know what you are getting into. This starts at 8:30 to 12:00 then starts again at 2:00 to 3:35. In addition two-three nights a week you will have another class from 7:00-9:00. The teachers and the course expect you to use all the time from 7:00 to 9:00 pm everyday studying Chinese. Some classes that fell behind had more classes added. From 4:00 to 5:30.

Now with that said I am still glad I did it. But for some others it may be just easier to come and pay your own way and teach English (In Beijing native speakers can make up to 300 kuai and hour) so you can get the equivalent to the scholarship by working 4 hrs a week and have a much better place to live. Just a thought.

Hey longpeng,

That's interesting, thanks. A few questions:

How difficult is it to get a job teaching English casually? Are there employment agencies or do you just hang out at your local English Corner and offer tuitition?

Which university was it where students held a boycott because of overcrowding?

Cheers,

ricardo

1. Medical exam. Don't waste any money on this they won't accept it once you get here no matter where you got it. Why? Because they only recognize one or two facilities here. Its a guanxi thing. They have a facilities they partner with here and they take all the students there at one time and process them and do the exam. It cost around 600 kuai. THIS IS THE ONLY EXAM THEY WILL EXCEPT!!!! But you will still need one for your application. A recommendation I was given but did not follow was to take the form to the clinic and just say they want a general look over to make sure I was not obviously sick. Then have the doctor check whatever boxes he wants. After he signes/stamps it, you fill in the blanks. Now a warning if you fill in something and it's wrong that's on your head. What I mean is let's say you get accepted no matter what you will have to get the Chinese exam. So if it shows up you have HIV/AIDS you will have spent a lot of time and effort for nothing.

Hi longpeng,

What university did you get into? For the application, i did the exam with our family physician and did the tests with the hospital. Then I made the mistake of sending the original with my application. So when i was applying for my visa, i got another physical examl.; This time, with the an accredited clinic on the Chinese Embassy's list.

Then, when I got into BLCU and they hauled us students to that clinic where they "re-do" the physical exam, i did not pay a single cent. The other students paid, but i think they either saw i was a scholar or i had a complete medical exam already approved by the embassy.

Hello all,

I am applying through the Ministry of Education in Quebec, Canada. They will send my forms to the CSC, and I they will preselect students before sending them, so I guess they don't send more applications than there are scholarships available (Quebec has 4 full scholarships and 15 partial ones apparently).

Anyway, I have a few interrogations about the application form itself.

Question number 3 : Employment record, what should we write in "Work Engaged"/从事工作? My job title I have written in "Posts Held" already, and I have no clue what to put in this space... I have had jobs/a carreer (part time student of Chinese), so I have to fill this part.

Questions 9 and 10 : The organisation recommending me and my guarantor in China. Now is the organisation supposed to be the Ministry of Education what is sending the form for me? I sent them an e-mail asking this but the person in charge is away on vacation for the hollidays. Maybe you'll know what to put here.

I hope you have a clue about this, especially if you're Canadian and applying through your province's ministry. :D

麻烦你们了!

hello, new posters! :D

pascal ma,

question 3 = where you are working currently, if you are. "post held" are previous jobs.

question 9 = yes! ministry of education in quebec, canada

question 10 = check the first post re: the guarantor.

ricardo,

getting an english teaching job is VERY easy.

rehan459,

i dont think there have been any applicants that posted here from pakistan. you will be our first! i suggest that you first try to contact the chinese embassy there and see if they are aware of the scholarship.

Hi,

I have two questions about the CSC Scholarship:

1. Does it matter which embassy (in my home country) I apply to? In other words, do I need to apply to the embassy that is closest to my home address/region, or something? I am American, and I was planning to apply through the embassy in New York, but I'd rather apply to the Washington, D.C. one if they are already accustomed to dealing with CSC scholarship applications.

2. Since no one seems to know how competitive the scholarships are, is it ok to apply for a Chinese Goverenment Scholarship as well as a Confucius Scholarship, and just see if I can get one of them? Or is it bad to apply to both?

Thanks for your help!