Chinese-Forums

Need CDs for 汉语口语习惯用语教程 (A Course in Chinese Colloquial Idioms)

kdavid

Has anyone used the CDs that accompany this book? More importantly, does anyone have them on hand?

I've purchased the book, but it seems that the sites I order books from are all out of the CDs. I'd like to have the dialogue recordings for my mp3 player.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could convert the CD recordings to mp3s, throw them in a torrent and then email me that torrent.

I've got a wealth of Chinese audio material that I can swap in exchange for this!

Thanks in advance! *crosses fingers*

I don't know about the audio files, but could you tell us more about the book? Is it like a textbook, or more like a dictionary? For what level? How useful did you find it?

Sure.The title, as stated in the headline, is 汉语口语习惯用语教程 (A Course in Chinese Colloquial Idioms). It's by 沈建华 and I ordered it from here.

The book is comprised of 20 lessons, 207 pages in all. It's about 95% characters and provides some pinyin for lower-frequency characters.

I didn't know this when I bought it, but there's also a little English for each colloquial term introduced. Normally, I'm against using books with English, but I think that in some cases, perhaps particularly with colloquial language, a Chinese-only translation is not always spot on in helping me understand the exact meaning. The English seems to help clarify things.

I just received the book yesterday, so I haven't worked with it much. It's geared toward Upper-Intermediate to Advanced students, and the focus is entirely on colloquial language (idioms, slang, etc).

Each lesson starts with a short dialogue. New phrases and words are bolded or underlined. The proceeding pages then explain the new content found in the dialogue. The explanations are clear and provide further examples. Each lesson also has a few practice exercises at the end of each lesson.

I think this book will be very helpful as its focus is entirely on 俗话 which doesn't seem to be emphasized in the other textbooks I've used (NPCR and Boya).