Chinese-Forums

Shanghai World Expo

taylor04

I just had an job interview for the New Zealand pavilion, hope to hear back in a couple of weeks. But you know governments so it might be early next year....:-?

I always hear about 70 million predicted total visitors to the site. At 160RMB per ticket/per day where are all these visitors going to come from??

A city official from San Antonio here got selected to actually live in Shanghai to manage the San Antonio exhibit there in the US pavilion. He is going to live with a grown daughter who works in Shanghai. But I'm not wanting to visit the US pavilion, I want to see the China pavilion. I saw some of the pavilions on the internet, a lot of very unusual architecture there I want to see.

This thread might be lucky! I just got accepted for an internship at the USA pavilion from April 15th-July 31st. I'll have to plan my courses around this trip, or even take a semester off, but I just want to go back to China

Wow that's great. Maybe you can get me free tickets to the Expo :mrgreen:

Meng Lelan, If they decide to but me on 保安 duty, I'll definitely let you sneak in

Great, it's easy to find me, the redhead with freckles. I'll be there in the summer wearing a "I Climbed Huangshan and Got this Lousy T恤" t-shirt. See you there.

• 4 weeks later...
but I just want to go back to China

I hear you on that. I'm super excited for the Shanghai World Expo!! Will be going in May during the "golden week" holiday here in Japan. Super excited.

I missed the Beijing Olympics so I can't miss the expo. See you there!

Dude, you gotta give us a report on the Shanghai World Expo after you do go.

You can count on that. Now that I have some pressure maybe I'll go all out with pictures, videos, etc. :mrgreen:...ahh I haven't been back to China in four years. This is going to be fun.

You can count on that. Now that I have some pressure maybe I'll go all out with pictures, videos, etc. ...ahh I haven't been back to China in four years. This is going to be fun.

Even do a blog about the visit, I'd like to see it, pictures, videos, and all.

• 3 months later...

A Japanese TV station had quite a negative report about the disorder at an Expo rehearsal, and today the New York Times had reports about some "incidents" as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/world/asia/30shanghai.html?scp=2&sq=Shanghai%20Expo&st=cse

But what really caught my eye was this bit, and maybe some people familiar with Shanghai customs can tell us what this is really about:

The city has also introduced a series of sometimes comical etiquette campaigns to instruct residents to be welcoming. Among the pastimes discouraged is walking in public dressed in colorful cotton pajamas — something of a Shanghai tradition.

:conf

I will be working on the New Zealand site during the Expo and I have see first hand some of the "incidents".

I think a major problem was that the visitors expected everything to be open and up and running, but they don't know what a "soft opening" is. So when places starting closing after a couple of hours people were not happy and then some "incidents" happened.

Its going to be a lot different from today but there are still going to some long lines, for everything!! So if you come to the Expo and you want to go inside any popular pavilion, its going to take up to two/three hours.

So what are the most popular pavilions so far?

Not too sure as it has only started but a lot from Europe, Japan, and Australia you will be waiting a few hours.

I'm hoping to visit the China pavilion in July, but if the line is going to be three hours long........?

The Chinese pavilion is different again. As (I think) you need to get there early and line inside the expo site to get a ticket to visit the pavilion. They are only give about 50,000 (or a set amount) tickets per day, Then you go a line up to get in. I don't plan on going to the Chinese one as it is not going to be pulled down after so I will go and see it sometime next year.

A lot of the themed pavilions you can also book/get tickets for. But will let you know more once I start working there full-time.