Chinese-Forums

Qingdao, Shanghai Climate/ Clothing

Gee69

I am on a very short visit to Shanghai & Qingdao this December and my first experience of Chinese Winter (my previous visits were in much warmer times).

I like to travel light... So just wanted your views on whether I really need heavy winter clothing.

Since most of my time will be spent indoors.... either in my room or at work... or i the car.....I think may need to manage only short periods when I am getting out or into my car.... This I think a light sweater/ jacket will help....

So I need not lug around heavy coats and leather...

Whats to do think guyz ??

Cheers !!

Gee

I lived in Hangzhou, two hours from Shanghai. It was very humid so it was very hard to dress appropriately. I would recommend a tight shirt to keep the air from getting between your clothes and then a light jacket It is also worth noting if you will be inside with or without a heater.

You mentioned its your first Chinese winter. What are your normal winters like? Obviously how you should dress will be different if you are from Hawaii vs Alaska

The temperature in Shanghai is hovering just over freezing at the moment. Temperature can vary quite a bit, who knows, next week it might be below zero, or it might be back above 10 degrees C. But if you are like me, and hate the cold, then I'd suggest bringing something quite thick.

I'd expect Qingdao to be significantly colder than Shanghai.

Anyway, you can check the weather on the net yourself.

Thanks taylor & anonymoose, for yr suggestions.

Taylor I live in a tropical climate... that way my 'normal winters' are a far cry from the temps at Shanghai.

As anonymoose says Shanghai is hovering around ZERO.

Btw, anonymous - Qingdao is a coastal city & is relatively better (for ppl who hate the cold). it's on the 0 to 5 degree Zone.

I like to travel light... So just wanted your views on whether I really need heavy winter clothing.

Winter in most of China is cold, and also Shanghai does not have any government heating. So depending on where you will be there might not be any heating inside. I havent been to Qingdao in the winter but if its anything like the wind in Dalian then it will be freezing.

This I think a light sweater/ jacket will help....

Might help to keep you warm inside.
I live in a tropical climate...
Then i think it would be a good idea to lug around a lot of warm gear. Or you could just buy it when you get here.

You could maybe skip on a bulky winter jacket, but do bring lots of layers - then if it's actually cold you can put them all on and get the same effect. Gloves, hat and if at all possible thermal underwear.

There's no guarantee the inside of anywhere is actually going to be warm (sounds like you might be doing factory visits? - no extra profit for heating the workers, y'know . . .)