Chinese-Forums

Comic Books / Children's Books to train reading ?

AlexanderH

I just wanted to post that after I saw the pleco demonstration on youtube, I just couldn't resist. I was due for an electronic update so I got myself an ipod touch and got the app. With the educational discount it was a no brainer.

Now the interesting thing is that, when I was showing pleco to some of the people in my Chinese class, I found out one of the student actually know about it and he himself bought the ipod touch just to buy pleco.

For us it is the killer app of the ipod touch. I want to congratulate pleco on this amazing piece of software!

• 1 month later...

Which books would you recommend for foreign kids, with no background in Chinese? I am teaching my little son some Chinese but it's hard to always create something interesting for a 5-year-old.

I'd prefer something bilingual, with audio and more than just one short story.

Songs brings joy to those young and old. We study traditional characters so we have the song books with CDs by You4fu2. You4fu2 also bilingual classic fairytales with CD. I like the bilingual Aesop fables. You4fu2 is good quality.

I would start with a picture dictionary. I think the bilingual Magic Treehouse books are quite good. Those come in traditional with zhuyin or simplified with pinyin. It might be too hard for a beginner, but at least your kid could read the English.

• 3 years later...

Digging up an old thread here but it has some great info on it. I'm looking for some simple comics for my iPad. Have downloaded DimSumWarriors and it's a bit too hard but I'm persevering slowly.

Have another app called Comikon which probably has every Asian comic under the sun but I'm having trouble finding a comic that suits my level. I've tried reading TinTin but it's in traditional characters (also perhaps a bit above my level), also tried 哆啦A夢 and it seems about my level but not really interesting. I'm around elementary level at the moment. Any suggestions on what to read?