Chinese-Forums

Converting a student visa into a work visa?

AL][EN

Hello

I hope someone can advise me on this.

I am considering spending 12 - 18 months in China learning Mandarin in a school or a University, and I then intend on working as an English teacher for a number of years.

Is it possible to convert a student visa into a work visa?

Have any of you ever done this?

Thanks!

Steve

the visa regulations keep changing, but in general changing visas is not a problem in China. You can do this via a visa agent, of which you will meet many when you are here and the very worst case scenario is that you might have to do a visa run to Hong Kong (why does nobody ever go to Seoul? seems a lot closer...).

(why does nobody ever go to Seoul? seems a lot closer...).

I went to Seoul once for a visa run (from Dalian.) Convenient. Didn't need to convert the visa, just needed to exit and re-enter China for another 90 day stamp on a multiple-entry tourist visa.

Edited by abcdefg

It should not be a problem but the visa regulations are always changing. Also It should not cost you anything as the school should cover the cost.

In worst case you might have to fly to HK to change your visa over. But its very easy to do.

As mentioned above, the visa practical rules change often.

But converting resident permits for study directly to residence permits for work is always quite hard, even impossible. In that case, you can go to HK to make the visa.

And to apply for a China work visa, you should be old enough (25 years old and above).

You need to have Bachelor degree (or above) certificate.

Please refer to the following link for the work visa application.

http://www.cn-visa.com/zvisa_application.asp

• 1 month later...

Visa rules do change and vary from one province to the next BUT you must expect to need to leave the Mainland and apply for the Z visa from abroad.

You are NOT allowed to work on a student or tourist visa. The fine is up to CNY 500/day and deportation.

Some people do anyhow -- that's entirely at their risk.

Oodles of private schools will tell you to enter on a tourist visa which they will convert for you. In fact, such offers come from private schools that are unable to get you a work visa, so they string you along until your visa runs out and then, um, well, it was nice knowing you.

Beware of visa agents: it's up to your employer to do the paperwork you need to get the "Z" work visa. To apply for one you will need a letter of invitation plus a medical health report. IF YOU ARE COMING HERE FOR A JOB, DO NOT ENTER THE COUNTRY ON ANY OTHER VISA.

If you're going to study, expect a visa run to Hong Kong when you need to change visa type.

Visa rules do change and vary from one province to the next BUT you must expect to need to leave the Mainland and apply for the Z visa from abroad.

The first part of this is correct about the Visa rules are all different all over the country and even different for each city.

But not every place/city requires you to leave the country and apply for a Z visa. Most do but not all. I have been able to change from a tourist visa (L visa) to a work permit within China. Jiangsu province is where I was able to do this

I also know several cases where English First was able to convert visas in Xinjiang -- but I still maintain that 98% of promises to convert L visas into Z visas without leaving the country are bogus, unless the promise comes from a government university.

I came with exactly such a promise and the university covered my return ticket to Hong Kong for the conversion.

I repeat to all novices: Be sure to enter China on a Z visa.

Too many private schools cannot get a Z visa for you even if you are out of country and beautifully qualified, but they want a white or other foreign face anyhow, so they tell you to come in on an L visa with a bogus promise of conversion.

Now do as you like!

• 1 month later...

I am about to make this very visa run but would like to go to Seoul instead of Hong Kong.

The reason for this is I have friends who I can stay with while in Seoul so it will cut down on my costs.

So I ask this, who has converted a student visa to a work visa in Seoul? Are there any cost or time differences between Seoul and Hong Kong? In other words, how many days would I be expected to stay in Seoul and how many days would I expect to stay in Hong Kong?

Regards

The main difference is that you will be paying for the visa in won not dollars.

PRC embassies charge according to processing time. The faster you want it, the steeper the cost. The cheapest price usually takes a week; same-day service costs most. There is a three- or four-day price.

I haven't checked out the Korean option.

Personally, my Mediterranean blood would lead me to apply in Hong Kong and pop over to cheaper, smoking-friendlier, more affordably gastronomical Macao until the visa is ready.

But having friends in a given city makes it the better option.

Thanks for that. Going to Hong Kong for a visa does seem to be where the path is worn. Does anyone know if I could get a student visa converted to an F visa in Seoul? Also, could I get this done in one or two days?

John

Personally, my Mediterranean blood would lead me to apply in Hong Kong and pop over to cheaper, smoking-friendlier, more affordably gastronomical Macao until the visa is ready.

ArthurBorges how can you leave HK and enter Macao when you don't have your passport?

• 5 months later...

Apparently it was possible to change some time ago, however now you need to leave the country to change from any other visa to a Z Visa (Work Visa). Any other visa will be illegal to work on. However you can later change from a work visa to a student visa if you wish.