Chinese-Forums

Chinese Complication Project

roddy

Chữ Nôm was created by Vietnamese scholars during the 10th century because vietnamese didn't have any written form. Scholars were using classical chinese but people needed a writing system for vietnamese.

A large amount of vietnamese words come directly from chinese (Vietnam was occupied by China for about 1000 years) : the corresponding chinese characters are used for them.

But the genuine vietnamese vocabulary needed new characters to be written. The Nôm system extends chinese writing by defining these new characters, roughly following the principles of Chinese writing.

However, there was no unification process, and learning Nôm requires one already knows Chinese, therefore the original goal of Nôm could not be achieved (educating people, claiming vietnamese identity against the Chinese rule).

There were famous Nôm writers and classics of Vietnamese poetry written in Nôm, but the system didn't catch up with ordinary people.

Now vietnamese is written with a roman alphabet called quốc ngữ (yes, it means 國語).

Raphael

• 10 months later...

Thanks roddy. Those are some interesting characters you got. I can't upload pictures cause I don't have any webspace, but here's character I thought of. dian4電 + sou1搜 dian4 on the bottom, and sou1 on top. Possible pronunciation sor1 (or son4) it means "Search engine".:mrgreen:

Thanks to roddy, I can now show you what I mean:mrgreen: The second one means 正常. Just messin' around with that one. One more, ling2 + duo2. Etymology: "To steal the heart and soul of someone. Meaning: "to pirate"(goods, music, etc)

• 9 years later...

Well, that seems a bit of a hassle - almost a favour.jpg

and I'd be quite justified in giving you a refusal.jpg

However out of the goodness of my heart I delved into theelecgrave.jpg

of the old server (new one, to signify a piece of electronic equipment or storage media with no conceivable use, but which may have something you need one day on it) to resurrect them. 

Had forgotten David Moser called me a genius. Should have quit while I was ahead really....

• Like 3

Yes, [电坟] is great. Old cellphones, floppy disks... finally, a term for them! I'd put 电 at the bottom though, seems more fitting, with that tail (can't wait to find out what that one is already in use for).