Chinese-Forums

Unlocked Iphone works in China?

yialanliu

Thank you Gato. I'm going to the Apple store in Ginza right now. Although looking at the thread you posted, it's probably best if I wait three weeks and get one in HK.

Edit: Ok, it's SIM-locked. I've played with it half an hour inside the store though and I think I'm going to like it. A SIM-free version should be available soon in HK and Italy.

• 2 months later...

I have a canadian iPhone 3GS, it was locked to the Fido carrier.

I have jailbreaked it with jailbreakme.com and unlocked it with ultrasn0w.

I have bought a China Unicom 3G sim card with the 66¥ plan (50 minutes and 300MB).

The phone works, I send and receive calls and SMS. But I have not been able to go on the Internet. I have met an american guy with an american iPhone 3G whose Internet was working, and I am pretty sure that the canadian iPhone is pretty identical to the american one...

I have brought it to a China Unicom store with an english vendor who was very nice but couldn't help me. He sent me to another store with iPhone technical service but they couldn't help me either, and didn't speak english, so they only managed to write on a paper my problem in chinese (不能上网) and told me in broken english to go to another store, but this one I could never manage to find where it was and just gave up.

So, anyone had a similar problem?

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have ordered an unlocked iPhone that I plan to use in China, but I am confused and need some help! The main reason why I considered getting the phone is so that I could be able to send texts to family members with iPhones. After doing some research online, it seems that this is only possible when connected to a wireless network. Is it possible to send and receive text messages in China from the US on the iPhone using a data plan? If so, is it expensive? I am leaving this week and am getting nervous!

Thank you all very much for your help!