Chinese-Forums

Z Work Visa/Residence Permit question help?

mooncake421

I have a question regarding my residence permit. I received my Z work visa and came back to China and got my residence permit, which is multi entry. however, I have since left that company...but I still have a valid residence permit. I'm planning to leave the country for 2 weeks in February...will I have trouble getting back?

I asked a person and he said I should have no trouble since I have a valid residence permit but now I'm not sure...

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by roddy

Has anyone actually heard of that happening though? My impression (and I wouldn't recommend you go crossing any borders on this basis) is that the the PSB won't cancel the permit without bringing you in to give you another visa (perhaps a very short one for the purposes of leaving the country) and that hasn't happened.

Also, I'd imagine if residence permits do get canceled you'd find out about it on the way out - in the first place you'd be classed as an illegal overstay and you'd be in for a talking to and a fine, in the second place they're not going to want you turning up unawares on the way back and needing to be repatriated.

Technically you should get that residence permit converted to something you are entitled to - a tourist visa, most likely, or transfered to another employer. But if you are confident the company hasn't said anything to the PSB, or that the PSB aren't concerned (could they have found you if they wanted? Are you at your registered address or phone number) - well, your call . . .

thanks for your reply!

but i thought that the company cannot cancel your residence permit...only your work visa befre the residence permit?  i know that my residence permit is valid as far as i know since it's still in my passport?

Has anyone actually heard of that happening though?

Yes. They can be canceled and employers do indeed do it. Whether or not they would I think would depend a lot on the situation, and whether or not the end of the work relationship was amiable or not.

My impression (and I wouldn't recommend you go crossing any borders on this basis) is that the the PSB won't cancel the permit without bringing you in to give you another visa (perhaps a very short one for the purposes of leaving the country) and that hasn't happened.

The only thing that's necessary here in Harbin is for us to request a cancellation and return the individual's foreign expert certificate. The individual in question does not need to be present. I'm also sure there's a way around it if the FEC isn't available.

i know that my residence permit is valid as far as i know since it's still in my passport?

The residence permit is dependent on you still being employed by the organization which enabled you to get it in the first place. (Otherwise there would be nothing to stop everyone getting one then quitting on the day it's issued.).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this, I was just about to ask the same question, I thought once you had the permit it was yours to keep for a year, now I don't have such a problem with the school keeping mine as they WILL cancel it if I leave. I take it it is not attached to my passport as they have assured me I will get it back once all the procedures are finished.