Chinese-Forums

Guangdong / Southern China accents, etc?

SirDude

There are parts of an accent which are incorrect.

For example, merging zh/j/z, substituting the -n coda for the -ng coda, mixing n/l, using wrong tones, etc. I guess that you agree that you should try to avoid this.

Then there are things which are less strict, like qingsheng or erhua, and where there is variation based on context, how official the speech should be. Whether you say "zhe" or "zhei", for example. Whether you say "shui" or "shei".

Here, there is also a standard which clearly prescribes that "correct" usage, but there is lots of leeway.

Is this what you are talking about?

Here, there is also a standard which clearly prescribes that "correct" usage,
I think this is one of the key differences. On the mainland, the "correct" standard is heavily promoted and local variants disparaged to such a degree that often people will feel embarrassed or ashamed to speak in their local accent unless they are at home speaking with family members. There is very much the impression that accent is incorrect Mandarin. This is very different from English speaking countries where often people take pride in their local accents.

Anyway, am I the only one who feels this discussion is just going round and round in circles?

There are parts of an accent which are incorrect.

For example, merging zh/j/z, substituting the -n coda for the -ng coda, mixing n/l, using wrong tones, etc. I guess that you agree that you should try to avoid this.

Then there are things which are less strict, like qingsheng or erhua, and where there is variation based on context, how official the speech should be. Whether you say "zhe" or "zhei", for example. Whether you say "shui" or "shei".

Here, there is also a standard which clearly prescribes that "correct" usage, but there is lots of leeway.

Is this what you are talking about?

YES!!!!:mrgreen:Thanks!

This is what I've been talking about and what could be a problem.

SOMEONE CLOSE THE THREAD before some other argument starts!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap

To all who have shared their views and opinions,

Thank you for all your thoughts and input, I can not believe this turned into such a long thread with such deep feelings and beliefs.

Since so many have shared so much of their time and energy on this topic, I feel I should let everyone know that I received my letter of acceptance to the college I was hoping to attend and that I will be starting class this summer.

I look forward to continuing my Mandarin studies when I start class this summer.

Thank you,

SirDude